Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender History

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Me and a guitarist "friend" were at a music store one day, and he pointed to a fender p-bass and called it a strat bass. so of course I hit him, but it got me wondering, what came first, the p-bass, or the stratocaster?

2. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    The P-Bass came out around 1951. I think the Strat came a bit later.

3. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    The precision is much more like the tele than the strat. The tele was Fender's main guitar at the time and it was still 3 years before the strat came out. Similar features include the headstock, and the cover over the bridge. I don't think the body was all that similar, though. Haven't seen a picture of an original p-bass in a while.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here's an idea: Next time you're in the store with your friend, point to a stratocaster and call it a "Precision Guitar":D

Will C.:cool:

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    "a strat bass"???

eesh...

-GM

6. Ok! I'll give this a stab. I can't find my Fender Bass book, but, digging into my memory.

The first P-Bass came out in 1951, I think. It somewhat resembled a Tele, but not quite. The first Strat came out in 1954. The P-Bass body and headstock were updated to resemble the Strat in 1957.

It was not, at any time I can remember, called a Strat Bass. It's always been the P-Bass. However, I think it was during the early '70s, Fender came out with a re-issue of the original and called it a Tele-Bass. It can get a little confusing at times. Kinda like the alphabet soup designators that Harley Davidson has used on its bikes for years.

If I'm off on any of this, I'm sorry. I was shooting from the depths of my old memory.

7. Sammy, you're right about the chronology of the P-Bass. The changes in 1957 that made it look like a strat were the headstock (mentioned) and the contouring of the body. The original Precision had a slab style body like the Telecaster, even though it was a double cut-away. The changes were a rounding of the edges, a slight sloping of the face where the right arm would lay, and a scooped out contour in the back of the waist to make it more comfortable to fat guys like myself!;)

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Though not specifically Strat related, other changes to the P bass in '57 were the utilization of the two coil humbucking pickup, 4 saddle bridge, and anodized aluminum pickguard.