Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender HM 5 String INFO ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Aug 6, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Anybody now anything about the Fender HM 5 string bass? I saw one on the net and wanted to know more about it. I’ve never been a Fender fan but this bass looked different. Basic P shape no pickguard. Black hardware and 3 J style pickups. The back 2 grouped pretty close together. Made in USA also. Any more info would be great. Also, what’s a used one worth in nice shape?

Kurt

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The one I played felt pretty nice, and was lightweight. The three pickups allowed for some hollow-mids (like a strat) tones that could be good for nu-metal, or maybe slap. It was hard to really tell, because it was in poor shape- knobs missing, scratchy pots, etc. The fingerboard rosewood was very thin.

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Peter thanks. Info on this bass is tough to find. I do know that the HM stands for heavy metal and the basses were made in the US in the early 90's. Kind of a modern P bass. The necks are suposed to be decent. The owner doesn't seem to know the scale length or much about the electronics. For around $450 I might, I repeat might chance it. Dunno. A Fender? Man I'd be in trouble at next band practice!

Kurt

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a four string one of these. Plays great! Fairly bright, with two single coils near the bridge, but lots of available sounds. Won't swear to it, but I believe that headstock, if not the whole neck, is graphite reinforced...something not often seen with a Fender.

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you search the TBL archives, you'll find that I asked for info on these about a year or two ago, and got a few informative replies.

6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Thanks. It's hard to do a search because the phrase "HM" is less than the search engine for this site allows. So, you end up getting ALL the Fender stuff. Which was way too much to sift through.

This would be something for the site holders to take a closer look at because so many model numbers and number letter combinations are hard to search for.

Kurt

7. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Whoops you're talking about a different site. Should have read your post more carefully. I still have the same problem here but it looks like the bottom line is different. Thanks much.

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you search on "puleo" and/or "pilotjones" you should be able to find my original posts (I've only posted half a dozen times or less), and then you can pull up the next couple of digests in the series to see the responses.