Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender hm bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Anybody got info on these basses? what do they sound like?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I looked all over the Fender site, didn't find any mention of the HM bass.

3. I had a HM-V and it wasn't that great.....

Really thin neck, really light body with a so so finish job. It has three J pups in it. Some were made in USA, most were MIJ.

They were made in the early '90's and only made it for a few years.

4. Also forgot to mention, pup selection was made via a strat style 5 position selector. That left, if I remember correctly, a volume and a tone control.

5. FJ68 is (I believe) correct on all points, except I think they sounded OK. Once broke a string on my Alembic mid-gig, and was too dumb to bring a backup, so the opener's HM 5 did the job.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I tried one in a store once. Light, with a thin neck.
    One of the pup switch settings gave a hollow sound (think strat) that might possibly be good for slap.

7. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I had a black HM-V (Heartfield Model 5) bass that I really liked. Because of the 3 J pickups, you could get a meaty p-bass sound, two complex, scooped sounds, a Musicman-esque "bonky" sound, and a nasal growl. Instead of fiddling with blend knobs you had a 5-way switch, a center detented tone pot and a master volume to dial in cool sounds with.

...and nice lubricated tuners.

It was a very unique, conveniently passive bass that absolutely everyone asked about.

WHAT'S THAT BASS?!?

I want it back.