1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Drive/Reverb Soundclips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I got this amp on saturday and I've been able to spend a few minutes experimenting with it and I've recorded a few things. Here's a driven sound with a shortscale sparkly purple sx girl bass (P/J) that I bought for my fiancee, using the bridge pickup and just a bit of the neck:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=8215831

I'm going to add to that later for a short little jam section. Here's a thing with the drive channel on, drive at five (of 12, the knobs on this amp go up to 12) master at absolute minimum setting that produces sound, with the reverb on at 9 o'clock. All of these clips are done at extremely low volume as I'm in an apartment building with extremely creepy neighbors but as you can imagine things thicken up nicely when you push the volume up a bit. Anyways, nice tube fuzz sound:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=8211434

And then a lighter tube fuzz with the drive turned down some more:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=8215823

Anyways this is turning out to be a cool amp for people like me that require dirty sounds and gig at lower volumes. Many more soundclips to come!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's an openback guitar combo, speaker won't last long.

3. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Really. I've played through enough open back cabs and have had no problems.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My guitarist has a HR Deluxe 410 combo. I've played through it in the living room with my old P with flats and it sounds great. But I wouldn't try playing gigs thrugh it...I guess it all depends on your gig and how low the volume really is, coffee house, no problem.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, speakers are at risk. Why not use a proper bass amp?

6. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hmmm...interesting. I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and have never considered using it for bass as I don't want to ruin the speaker, which I'm sure extended use and at decent volume would probably do. I wonder how the amp would do plugged into a bass cab?

The 40 watts sure is loud for guitar. I bet it would push a 12" bass cab pretty good. I might have to try it for fun.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    And precisely why would the speaker be at risk? Is it at risk with a Bass VI? A baritone guitar? A detuned guitar? A piccolo bass? Where is this mythical imaginary line we're not supposed to cross or the gear will get damaged?

I'll believe the speaker is at risk when something actually happens to it. Once upon a time things like the Vox AC15 were popular bass amps because there weren't really dedicated bass amps. I've spent plenty of time playing through open back guitar combos and have never had any problems with any guitar speakers I choose to use. They may not have the punch of a closed back cab, but that's it.

If someone made a dirty sounding and portable all tube 20-40 watt 1x12 bass combo with footswitchable reverb, tremolo, and maybe drive channel, I'd be all over it. I've owned dozens of overdrive pedals, and none of them really compare to a tube amp. So until they make a suitable bass amp, I'll be happy to use guitar combos, just like people have done in the past. Not that I haven't used tube bass amps too, but they're too loud for me to crank to distortion at my gigs, even large gigs we never have too high of a stage volume.

8. I love the sound in the last clip, man. It shows how well the dirt responds to your picking dynamics.

9. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    When I first started playing bass I used the guitar player's guitar amp through a 410 guitar cab and ruined the speakers. This was at normal gig volume over a number of gigs. That has been my only experience with playing through a guitar rig.

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    What speakers/cab/amp? If you blew the speakers you were doing something wrong or the speakers couldn't handle the power the manufacturer claimed they could, clearly. A bass guitar is the same thing as a guitar, just tuned lower, it's not going to hurt anything if you don't do anything wrong. You can mess up your sound with active pickups and EQ and cause problems that way, but I don't use active instruments and I've played through plenty of guitar amps with plenty of guitar speakers, open and closed back, and never had any problems.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Actually it's not, but it is, but it's not, if it was, it'd have skinny strings flopping loosely all over the place.:D

Seriously, the bass instrument, be it stand-up or electric puts out much more information in the lower frequencies and has strong harmonics that are an octave lower than the guitar. Longer scale length, bigger strings all lend to this.

The open back guitar amp, while it can sound good as evidenced by your clips, is not for gig volume, big bass guitar sound. The thing is like an infinite baffle or something, nothing to control it, just flapping out there in the open air, doesn't take much to overdo it.

You may have been playing them that way just fine for years because either you're playing at really low volumes or enjoy a really overdriven/low-end lacking sound. Guitar speakers do usually have a high xlim, allowing you to drive them with power but a bass can still easily kill them in an open back design.

Anyway, if it works for ya and you're fine with it and it sounds good....it is good, period.

On the other hand, you may be hearing it in a studio environment or playing live and standing up close to the rig. Get 20-30 feet out from that thing and hear what the audience is hearing and you may be scratching your head.

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Actually "infinite baffle" is I believe the technical term Ampeg applied to their closed back cabinet design. Nice technical explanation!

You haven't answered my questions. What precisely is going to kill the speaker? And where is this imaginary mythical line that has to be crossed for that to happen? Is a Bass VI ok? A baritone guitar? A detuned guitar? A piccolo bass? How about a guitar player with a thick suboctave pedal playing a low E? I'll take my practical experience any day over your theoretical knowledge and even at high volume I have yet to blow a guitar speaker, though I have blown bass speakers with bogus power ratings.

Yes speakers can and do get blown, but there's going to be some other reason why a guitar speaker blows other than just the fact that you've got a bass plugged into the amp. You play like Lemmy, you're going to blow speakers. It's just a fact. But don't blame that on the nature of the bass. It's not it's fault.

13. So here are some of my clips playing through a Hot Rod Deluxe. Mark has/will probablly cover most of the overdrive settings, so I thought I'd post some clips of it copping some vintagey clean tones, the type I can't quite nail on my dedicated GK bass amp.

Mines the anniversary edition, its tweed and apart from cosmetics the only different as far as I know is it comes stock with Jensen speaker. I've also replaced the stock tubes with TAD tubes after the died.

I'm also using my ACTIVE MIA Deluxe Jazz :eek:

Le Femme d'Argent by Air
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8221463

Come Together by The Beatles
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8221466

Black Swan by Thom Yorke
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8221467

Just a random riff to show the in-built Reverb
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8221464

And even though I said I wouldn't, couldn't resist. This is just a muck around clip with the 'More Drive' channel cranked to a maxiumum 12/12 - I stop because my A string breaks right at the end of the clip.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8221465

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Great clips! Thanks for doing those!

I don't think I've mentioned it in this thread but I'm planning on swapping out the tubes in my Fender for a JJ tubeset optimized for maximum headroom. I'm sure I'll still be able to get plenty of dirt on the drive channel. I'm also going to swap out the stock speaker for an Eminence Swamp Thang eventually, which is a very bass heavy guitar speaker with high power handling (150 W) and a high sensitivity (102 dB)for maximum volume.

15. Although it might be hard to discern the difference from a few clips, do you think you would be able to do some A/B riffs before and after you mod it? That would be awesome.

I'd also like to know a more scientific and definitive reason against bass through guitar speakers. I've always been vaguely aware of it as a rule but not really understood why. Why just guitar speakers?

You can plug a 7.1 surround sound dvd into your computer and play it fine through the dinkiest little speakers and nothing happens. You can put anything through PA speakers and bass speakers, etc. Yet guitar speakers are for some reason gentle? I can understand if they maybe won't sound as good because they attempt to accentuate different frequencies. But why will they die where others speakers work fine?

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Paper cones and weak magnets as opposed to most bass and pa speakers which are like fabric I believe.

I played through an open back Fane loaded 4x12 and the speakers could take 300w, they still farted and flapped with a 100w tube head they were designed for, when used with bass.

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    No, I'm pretty sure there's bass speakers with paper cones. Lots of them. In fact the only exception I can think of right now is Hartke speakers with their aluminum cones.

And speakers with bogus power ratings exist both in the bass and guitar realm. Crappy speakers will fart out same with guitar speakers as bass speakers, but good speakers will not. But because there happen to be crappy bass speakers we don't automatically assume all bass speakers won't work for bass, do we? It's just labels. If anything, guitar speakers don't have an exceptional frequency response quite as low as bass speakers. That does not mean that those frequencies absolutely do not get reproduced through them, and it isn't hardly anything to worry about if you're like me and dial in your oomph in 125-200 Hz, which just about any guitar speaker can reproduce at good volume, some even exceptional volume. And more over, there is no definitive scientific reason why guitar speakers will automatically blow when you plug a bass in. Crappy ones will yeah, but so will crappy bass speakers.

18. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It is not that guitar speakers automatically blow when you plug a bass in. In general, speakers designed for guitar do not have the suspension necessary to handle the excursion resulting from the increased vibration of low frequencies that a bass or keyboard can produce, which can damage the voicecoil/speaker. That is not to say that all guitar speakers can not handle a bass guitar. It just means you should be carefull.

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    You said my speaker in my amp specifically was in danger. I assume you didn't say this because you have specific knowledge of the exact speaker in my Fender, but because you were operating under the assumption that all guitar speakers would be in danger with a bass plugged in to an open back cab. It was you who implied that assumption with your first and very vague statement, not I.

You can fumble at pointing out some logical reason why my speaker is at danger, but since your first one was an "infinite baffle" which means closed back cab, excuse me if I am hesitant to believe anything else you say.

20. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, I will try to do that, though I've improved my mic placement since the last clips I did so it might not be a fair comparison. I'll see what I can do though.