1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender hot rod jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucas G, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i was checking out a fender hot rod jazz tonight at GC. i liked the bass a lot, it felt and sounded good. maybe not $1600 good, but it was a mighty fine example of the breed. it had a nice heft to it, and the finish was REALLY nice, but dang, that's a hefty price tag.

i did have a question, though. this bass had i believe an S-1 switch on it. with it engaged, the bridge volume control didn't do anything. is this normal? i have never played a bass with the S-1 before, and i was wondering if that was a side effect of switching between series and parallel, or if this particular bass was messed up.

2. I was wondering the some thing. The controls seemed weird to me. I'd much rather have a MIJ Fender Jazz for 2/3's $$$$ and put an active system in it if needed.

3. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    hey, i'm going to give this a little bump if that's cool with everyone. someone knows the answer to this question, i am sure of it.

4. It is very normal, when you put pick-ups in series they bassicly act as two halves of one big pick-up, so you no more have control over individual volumes.

5. That makes sense. It would take some getting used to. My multi, many switched BC Riches seemed easier to dial in :confused:

6. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    awesome, thanks! i figured as much but i wasn't sure.

7. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    I picked up a new Roscoe Beck a couple of weeks ago, and the tonal versatility of this all passive bass is truly remarkable. It's in the same price range and it is one awesome instrument.