Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Hot Rod P - Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 31, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I demoed one a year ago and was not impressed. For a few hundred less you could go with a used G&L SB2. To me there is no comparison in feel and tone. Got mine 3 years ago and it's been my main bass since.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I can't get excited about one of those at that price since MF blew them out a few years ago at $599 or was it $499??

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I would think that's a bit high too, but some probably disagree. In Philly there's a N.O.S. '99 Hot Rod that's been hanging on the wall for years, and last I knew the store was asking $1,150, which I thought was ridiculous.

Then I spoke to a very experienced player who loves these, and thought I should snap it up at that price. He thought it was a good deal because they've been discontinued.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think it was around 500. But who knows? Now they're discontinued and they are purdy good basses - I had one just like that and would have kept it had the original owner not really wanted it back - and it was the first P bass in a long time that made me smile all goofy.

I couldn't bring myself to pay more than 5 for one, though. They're good but just not all that "special" in terms of value.

But the used market on recently discontinued basses - who knows?

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Was it Chuck or Ray? Both traded one of these in to me on a new Lakland.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    FWIW: I sold both of them for $750 clean/used.

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I had one and sold it. I wish I had it back because it was a great sounding bass. The price is maybe high, but if it's really MINT and you want it, you should get it. They really were a great sounding bass.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I paid less for mine at a Music Store--I think I got mine for like $695. It's my First American made Instrument, so I'm of proud of mine. I didn't have to sell my first born to get it.

If I had the funds I would get another one, but with a Maple neck*cough*B'Aces High*cough* :)

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    After I look at those pics some more that Bass is just to sexy...$895 for the price I don't know. :meh: They are discontinued, so they are hard to find...
    I say if your itching for one go for it.

11. I really like mine..its a very solid P-bass. Its as good as an MIA P can get.

That said, i think you could get a better price for it. I got mine for 1000 CDN in 98 i think it was? (about 820$ US i think?)

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I just looked at the Location of the seller and see he is from Little Rock..That's just across the river for me.lol (no point just thought it was cool that someone posted a thread of an auction from someone who lives near me.)

If you have your heart set on a Hot Rod from Ebay...Try also searching "Fender Hot Rodded P-Bass" don't know why but some people call it Hot Rodded instead of Hot Rod.

13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say a Fender is a Fender. I have played good and bad of almost every fender model, so a "try before buy" is key. The hot rodded Ps that I've played were always sweet.

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I'm just looking for a good P-Bass, and I'm looking at all my options. The only bad thing is that I can't try any of these before I buy. In the time I've played bass I don't think I've see one P at a store, and GC is like an hour and a half away (not worth the drive IMO).

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I absolutely love the color.

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea that's what got me :) I was browsing the P-basses like "nope..nope..nope..nope..yuck...nope..crap....cheap...WOAH.." :)

17. i've got one and love it. i paid $750 a couple years ago. $895 seems a little high... but like everyone has said, they are discontinued.

it's your call. i'm a big fan of that color!!

18. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    An auction for a black one just ended yesterday - sold for $561. They pop up all the time for $600-650 BIN.

19. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Nice color. If it had a matching headstock (which I don't think they even exists), It'd be mine.... :D

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    If you're just looking for a solid P bass, those Mike Dirnt models are a really good place to start. I don't even consider myself a big fan of Precisions anymore and I bought one. Had to play a few to find a good one but mine is very, very good now that I have it set up properly. Sounds like a million bucks, cost less than 6 bills out the door at GC (with an SKB Deluxe HSC, hah).

Dude, the one I had was Ray's HRP. Great player.