Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Hot Rod P: How will Bartolinis change the sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Nov 28, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I have a Bartolini 8S and a quad-coil Bartolini J pickup that I could drop into my Hot Rod P.

Aside from having a noiseles J, how will it change the character of the sound? Will the bass have more output? Will it be creamier, muddier, cleaner? Will the sound cut better through a mix?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Take a look at the Pickup FAQ here at the top of this forum, there you will find a link which is called Dr. Dimento´s P-pup shootout.

Here´s da link!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127322

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

I read it but he's not sure if he has an 8S or an 8SU.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 8s has a pretty dark thumpy sound with a lo middy warm growl.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In all probability, if you're looking for a variation on the Fender tone, you're probably looking in the wrong place. If you're looking for something different than what you have, you're probably on the right track. If I had the pup I'd drop it in cause I never really KNOW what it will sound like till it's done.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As lunkfur said, not a vintage tone.
    Barts are generally lower output pickups. Compared to the stock HRP pups, it'll sound a bit more refined.
    As luknfur also said, nothing to be lost by trying it out!