Fender Hot Rod Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Fender Hot Rod Precision
    What do you know about it? :eek:
    I'm looking for a PJ passive bass...:confused:
  2. The Hot Rod P, while being a good bass, is a little over priced. If you want my opinion, go get a De Armond Pilot. Sounds just as good (or better, IMHO) and costs about half as much. It also has that slimer J-style neck, which is a personal fav of mine. I've had one for about 3 years, and I use it as my primary instrument.

Rock on
  3. a uniqe feature on it is that it's got a slimmed down P neck, so its not quite a P, yet not quite a J. Its pretty comfortable though. I would say check out used. You may be able to find one from before fender switched over to the "american series", my understanding is that the HRP had the American Series features when the line was still "american standard". They were going new for $500 durring the "blowout" so you may find one super cheap.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only problem with this suggestion is that the DeArmond is out of production. Tumbao would have to look for a used one, and that may be hard to do considering where he is located.
  5. If you can foot the bill, I'd say go for it...if not for me buying myself a Marcus Miller Signature Jazz bass, I would have bought the HRP Bass. For years, I was a avid-Fender-hater and once I played this, not to sound like an infomercial, but once I played it, I fell in love w/ all the American Fenders...they take the cake and I'm the baker!