Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Hot Rod P's...am I nuts ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveB, Jul 20, 2000.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a Fender Jazz guy who is buying a P. I have now played about 40 Fender P's of many variations and models including many American Standards and about a half dozen Hot Rod P's.
    The Hot Rods, with the P pup all the way up and the J pup all the way down are "supposed" to sound like a regular P. Every Hot Rod I have tried does not get as deep in the low end as the American Standard and other regular P models.It's like the P pup cannot disassociate itself from the J pup and the J kinda "bleeds" in.
    Do you have any comment on this including that me or my ears are nuts?

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Just in case you missed my reply on the FDP,I have found the same thing.Good luck!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Have you tried the American Deluxe P?

Tom Bomb likes this.
  4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    MJB- Yes I have and I'm actually thinking about it as an alternative.I'm not an active pickup lover because I generally find that I can get pretty much the same EQ from my amp. I like to set the EQ for the room I'm playing in and leave it all night so the convenience of having it on the Bass is not a big deal. But having said that I've tried a few Deluxes and they were pretty nice.
    Do you have some experience with them??

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I own a Precision Deluxe and sort of wish I had a good old MIA Standard P...I, too, prefer passive to active and while I can dial in all sorts of great tones on the P Deluxe, I think I'm looking for something simpler, less knob twisting and more playing.

-GM

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a '93 P Deluxe, and it's quite a different animal from the current ones. For one thing, it's got Lace Sensors (P and J) and only two stacked knobs ... volume and pickup blend on one, and treble and bass on the other. It's the only 4-string I own, and I just put a set of Fender flatwounds on it just for fun. I can still get the usual P-bass tones out of it. It's active, btw. I really prefer a J-bass tone over P, so my P-bass and Ernie Ball don't get as much use as my other basses (see profile).