Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Hot Rod/Rodded Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderHotRod, May 1, 2005.

1. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I was just wondering how many people here at TB ownes one of these basses and how do you like it? The thread :Changing back to 4 strings: got me thinking about playing my Fender more and putting my Tribute L-2500 away for awhile. Then my mind starts to go wild and it comes up with the qusition at hand. Who owens one? And how do people like it?

2. :cool: I used to own one, Sunset Orange w/rosewood board. Mine did not have the volume control problem that many owners complained about. I sold it because it was one of way to many basses that I owned at the time.

I currently own three Fender P-Basses. All three are P/J'd, or Hotrodded if you prefer. I like the added tonal variations that the bridge J-Pup provide. Some think it's superfulous, others think it actually alters the basic "P" sound of the bass. I don't agree with either view. But, that's what makes horse races.

I sometimes regret having sold that HR P-Bass, but it had an ash body, and frankly, my experience with ash bodies has always been that their tone is a little thin for me. Again, my opinion. That's why I'm currently thinking of selling my AmDlx P, it has an ash body.

If you like the idea of a very versatile P-Bass, and can find one of these for a reasonable price, you ought to pick one up.

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have a Fender HR already. I have seen other post threads talking about the Volume problem/s I really don't think mine has it. I've seen where people say that it is not a real P-bass. And a few other post that has put a frown on my face. :(

I really like the way mine plays and feels. I'm just woundering what other owners think about the bass.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :eyebrow: Anybody else have anything to contribute?

5. One of my friends has one. I love it! If he ever put it up for sale I would definatly buy it. His definatly doesn't have any volume problems

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've got a lefty HR and I love it!

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a HRP natural/rosewood. I also owned one of the Sunset Orange ones and loved it except for the color. I let it go because of the color and bought the one I have now when it became available.

It is a fine bass. Not a true P or J but a lovely bass nevertheless.

Chuck

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Do any of you guys use it as your main bass?

Mine two is Natural with rosewood. I got it back in 2002. For 695. I've been playing it more recently. Now I keep switching between my Truibute L-2500 and the Fender. The more I keep switching between the two the less real practice I get. I don't know why either It has never been a problem until recently for some reason.

9. :cool: My hotrodded AmStd P-Bass IS my main bass. My back-up, or secondary, is my AmStd Fretless P-Bass, also hotrodded.

If you love a P-Bass, and it just happens to be an official HotRod P-Bass, or and after-the-fact, like mine, who cares. Use the damn thing and LOVE it.

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Your right sorry guys for being so wishy-washy.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a MIA Hot Rod P/J, Natural/Rosewood with tort pickguard.

It had the best pick tone I've ever heard, I sold it two years ago and to this day still regret it.

12. Psychdave

Psychdave

Apr 4, 2005
    Valencia, CA
    Also had the MIA natural with tort pickguard. It had great tone, was more difficult to play than any other P-bass I have ever had.. go figure. Unit to unit variation I would guess, the P-bass tone was great the J tone not as good but still quite usable, my favorite was a mix toward the J or the P full on.
    My original Bastard bass was a P body with a J neck , P pup, J pup in the tail and a badass bridge, easy to play, heavy beyond belief, but the tone! Only bass I have ever had the could get that tone that a full size grand piano gets in the bass register, harmonics were loud and full all over the place, no dead spots. It was an instrument I got from a friend because I needed a bass for a gig, he didn't really want to sell it, but that is what friends are for, I ended up selling it to a frined who needed a bass for a gig when I didn't want to sell it, I suspect that bass is still changing ownership every year or two and everybody who sells it wonders why.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have one of the Sunset Orange ash/rosewood ones.

Being a FMIC Fender, the neck finish was already starting to split and disintegrate even new in the store, and progressively self-destructed thereafter like all my other 2000 and later US Fenders. It had the volume/mix problem and still does. I got it on long sale when they were discontinued and blown out, so I'm not that steamed.

Aside from that, it's adequate. I think the P/J business would be a big so-what? if it wasn't for the sound the thing has when they're both up full (which is one of the three combinations available due to the mix defect - both full-on, P-full-on-J-off and J-full-on-P-off). That's pretty nice.

Otherwise, the thing doesn't really cut it. The special set of pickups that Fender made exclusively for this instrument aren't really distinguished J or P pickups, just an attempt to get a closer match on output from real P and J pickups, a compromise.

The two-piece body (remember those?) in the transparent orange and tortoise guard are really beautiful in an unexpected way (the light spots in the tortoise exactly match the orange finish), but they don't easily match other aspects of a stage look much better than my spatter-purple Music Man X01. :p

It's OK for what I paid for it, but it sure wasn't worth the MSRP of US$1600 in 2001 dollars! :spit: I guess it would have an MSRP of over two grand today.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This thread got me thinking about it a bit, so I went and got it out of the studio and plugged it into the office B-100R and fiddled around with it some more.

Strung with 8250s (which were supposed to be the stock strings, but in this case weren't) it's OK. Cranking up some midrange boost on the amp did a lot toward showing some of the variations between the pickups a little better.

I was reminded of one more minor design drawback, and that's the tiny and somewhat fragile tone pot that had to be used to shoehorn it into the old jack route. It gets busted relatively easily and I'm not sure where you can find a replacement. It's not clear if Fender stocks them any more and GC told me it'd be about eight weeks ("if ever") before I could get one in on special order. I simply disassembled mine and repaired it, more or less. I've never seen a replacement in a standard parts catalog.

15. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    are you referring to the california series? It was hotrodded P bass w/j p'up etc....I am looking for the orange one to trade for a Rick

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No.

17. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    can you show me a pic of the difference because I am not clear on these two...

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "California Series" wasn't an instrument, it was the name of a part MIM, part MIA production line many years before the "Hot Rodded" Precision bass was introduced in August of 2000 as part of the upgraded "American" series, superceding a similar "Hot Rod" Precision Bass that was part of the "American Standard" series of instruments.

They are out of production.

19. i own one and love it. it is my only bass at the time, so yes... it is my main bass.

20. I have one, Black with Tort pickguard and maple fretboard. Best Fender i have ever played. Sounds great. I dont pick it up as much anymore now that im a Ric player though.