1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FENDER HWY ONE P Bass- Taming the Brightness!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapstick13, Oct 14, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Just got a highway 1 precision bass and it rules. My only complaint is that its very bright sounding. Ive heard that they were bright and I attributed this to the badass bridge and whatever pickup is in there creating a bright tone.

However, the person i got mine from put a standard fender vintage bridge, and seymore duncan 'vintage for p bass' pickup in there. Anyone have any suggestions for 'taming' this brightness, other than obviously eq'ing it from my amp which works to an extent. I have the tone rolled off a bit but brightness is still there. Is it the greasbucket circuitry making it so bright? Suggestions would be very appreciated!!!

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    strings?

3. ajunea3

ajunea3

Feb 14, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Flats.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    cut treble. roll tone to 50%. use flatwounds!

5. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Kind of nervous about the flatwounds. I assume theyre mostly for smoother/ motown/ type sound. I play in a punk band and do need some brightness and punch, more so than mellow. Would they still be up my alley?

6. Visti

Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Maybe piece of foam to mute the strings slightly ala Carol Kaye? I believe there's a discussion on it on the first page of the technique forum.

7. Flats can do rock but I hear what you are saying for punk.

Try a pair of Ken Smith Compressors. They are similar to half wounds (the outer wire is ovular vs. circular). They still feel and sound like rounds but cut out that bright "zing." They last longer than most rounds too!

8. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't do flats in a punk band.
    Not to encourage you to buy more stuff but, I've heard good things about the Stellartone ToneStyler. It allows you to cut highs without cutting those punk essential mids.

9. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Try a set of Low-Riders Nickels. Nice mids and not too much on top.

10. Err, turn the tone control a bit further?

11. this is my problem too i hate highs,and love flatwounds on my p,but my punk bands need that treble,how do u play fingerstyle or with pick,flats can work out pretty nicely though,i make it work somehow

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Nickle round wounds. I'd go with Fender 7150's myself. Break them in for a few hours, and you should get a good P bass Punk tone IMO. If that is still too bright , try "ground wounds" I think those are made by D'Addario, but not positive.

You also may want to play around with the pickup hight, until you find a " sweet spot".

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    .1uF cap, about $1.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... also, are you hearing this brightness alone, or with the band?

If it's alone, try it with the band and see if it doesn't settle in nicely in the mix.

You should be able to run the tone wide open, and get a good Punk P bass sound IMO.