Fender hwy1 used basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Apr 2, 2004.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Has anybody seen any of the Fender hwy 1 basses on the used market? I haven't. Not in stores, on ebay, anywhere.

Either they're keepers or they're not selling. Comments?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have seen a few used ones at stores.

American jazz sounds better to my ears and I really dig that S1 switch.
  3. what does the S1 switch do? boost something?
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A switch that changes from pickups in a series to parallel. It's a small button on the top of the volume knob of new American P and J's.

Basically it has the effect of getting a Jazz sound from a P and vice versa. It really works better on the Jazz though. The P still sounds P-ish ( :D ) with the button engaged.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Probably both. Mine's a keeper. Lots of them are, although some of them aren't. It's a great player, and I have yet to meet a bassist who _doesn't_ like it. I'm not trying to brag about my purchase (...well... maybe a little), but they are GOOD basses.

I also don't think they're flying off of the shelves, although I don't have any stats to back that up. Most people I have talked to do not seem to care for the concept. They fall into the category of "save a few extra bucks and just buy the American". Half Mexican, half American, why not just go one way or the other? Best/worst of both worlds, to some people.

One final consideration is that they are still relatively new on the market. Given time, assuming they sell a decent amount, they'll hit the eBay.