1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender hwy1 used basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Apr 2, 2004.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Has anybody seen any of the Fender hwy 1 basses on the used market? I haven't. Not in stores, on ebay, anywhere.

Either they're keepers or they're not selling. Comments?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have seen a few used ones at stores.

American jazz sounds better to my ears and I really dig that S1 switch.

3. what does the S1 switch do? boost something?

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A switch that changes from pickups in a series to parallel. It's a small button on the top of the volume knob of new American P and J's.

Basically it has the effect of getting a Jazz sound from a P and vice versa. It really works better on the Jazz though. The P still sounds P-ish ( :D ) with the button engaged.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Probably both. Mine's a keeper. Lots of them are, although some of them aren't. It's a great player, and I have yet to meet a bassist who _doesn't_ like it. I'm not trying to brag about my purchase (...well... maybe a little), but they are GOOD basses.

I also don't think they're flying off of the shelves, although I don't have any stats to back that up. Most people I have talked to do not seem to care for the concept. They fall into the category of "save a few extra bucks and just buy the American". Half Mexican, half American, why not just go one way or the other? Best/worst of both worlds, to some people.

One final consideration is that they are still relatively new on the market. Given time, assuming they sell a decent amount, they'll hit the eBay.