Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender I got on eBay.... something sounds WAY wrong

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jul 25, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Just got the USA Fender Jazz Standard that I bought off eBay... plugged it into my amp... and something sounds HORRIBLY wrong. This thing sounds like hell. I think the electronics may be screwed up? How can I be sure? What should I do to try to figure it out?

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Take it to a shop, have them check it out top to bottom.

3. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Plus... the auction stated it was a Standard Jazz bass... but I have a feeling it is a Deluxe.... I went to a website that explained Fender serial numbers and it said DN plus 6 numerals is a 1998-99 Deluxe Jazz... and mine has that serial number. How can I tell for sure by looking at the bass? Thanks.

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    a few things... It wil say Deluxe on the headstock, the pickups will have only one "pole" under each string (instead of one on both sides of the string), the input jack will on the side (if deluxe)....

5. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Wow... well then I am clueless as to what I have here. The jack input is on the side of the bass like basically every other bass I have seen, rather than on top near the knobs. There are FOUR knobs, 2 large ones, then one large one with a small one on top of it, and then the last one is a small one. YET... there are 2 poles under each string on each pickup. ???????

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Also the deluxes have 22 frets over the standard 20.

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like a newer Deluxe Jazz, actually... the new ones have dual pole pieces.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's a deluxe, no question. Some of them had the 4 pole-pieces, some eight. It's not a standard, that's for sure.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Got a picture of it from the Ebay auction? If so, then post it here....

10. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
  11. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I just took a very quick, likely poor picture of it.

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    American Series denotes the standard passive jazz bass. What this guy sold you was obviously NOT a standard passive unit. He either got his description seriously wrong or he was an outright fraud. Now granted the Deluxe does retail for more new but he still didn't accurately represent what he was selling.

Edit: saw the pic, that's a Deluxe!

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This sure looks like it´s a MIA Deluxe Jazz... I pulled this pic of the Fender site, this is a fiver though, but it looks identical to yours.

[​IMG]

14. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    As a complete novice.... will I even notice the difference? After readin opinions here, I decided I wanted the passive. At thispoint, I have an active. Should I just keep it, because I will likely not know better? Or should I mention in to the seller, and try to work something out? Opinions?

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont know what to say.

Thats definetly a delux.

He sold you you something with a false desciption, but you did end up with a better (or more expensive at least) instrument.

I would probably warn the seller to be more careful, but not leave any bad feedback.

Peace
    Nick

16. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Looks active - check for a dead battery somewhere.

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you got a better bass than the one you thought you were getting. i dont even understand how the thought of leaving negative feedback even comes into play

18. I would suggest battery too. The Deluxe has a slightly different body shape to accomodate the 22 fret neck. It's probably more valuable but I think Fender's pricing has been weird lately.

19. Yes, theoretically it's a better bass... I wouldn't necessarily give negative feedback.

and active is cool anyways

20. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well I think the thought of negative feedback was obviously hasty... I would not do that. But it is the first time I have received something other than what I bought.