Fender interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cranberry Juice, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Cranberry Juice

Cranberry Juice

Mar 1, 2006
    Does Fender p bass pickguards, Pickups, and stuff like that fit on a SX p bass? They look like they do but not sure Sorry for the newb question, but i wanted to know:confused:
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    That is the basic idea. The SX p bass is designed to be a copy of the Fender P bass. Everything on the SX should be spec'd pretty close to its fender counterpart.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pretty close isn't close enough to work some of the time without modification.

Pickups will work most of the time, pickguards will likely need some modification, necks maybe depending on the neck pocket, other hardware depending on mounting patterns.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm dealing with this now. I bought an SX fretless P-bass copy a couple of weeks ago, figuring it would be a good way to see if I wanted to explore fretless further. That took only a day or two (I really dig fretless), and I saw an MIM Fender fretless J neck on eBay soon thereafter, and thus began the project.

The neck screw pattern lines up, so I'll be able to install the Fender neck, but it doesn't fit well in the pocket. There's a large gap along the sides of the neck, but from what I've read in the setup and repair forum, that's not a big deal. The key is the pressure at the attachment point. So for now, I plan to stay with the SX body.

I was hoping to use the SX tuners on the Fender neck, and the screw patterns looked the same when I checked out the Fender neck on eBay. (It was taken off a finished bass, so it was pre-drilled.) But no, the screw holes were a couple millimeters off -- too close to drill new holes. And I didn't want to fill, so I bought Fender tuners. (From the same eBay seller; I think they were originally on the neck I have.)

I've compared the pickguard screw patterns on the SX and my MIA P, and they're not close but not exactly the same. Apparently you can call Rondo and get SX pickguards real cheap, so maybe I'll get a tort guard.

I'll find out about the pickup in a couple of weeks when I bring it to a luthier for pickup installation and setup, but I can't imagine that will be a problem. I plan to use the MIA pickup from my P-bass, which now has a Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass.
  5. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    The SX's are designed to copy a specific era of Fender's basses so I wouldn't expect anything but parts made for that period to be interchangeable.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Well, I thought the neck bolt pattern lined up, but it's actually off by a couple of millimeters. So I don't think I can use my MIM Fender neck. I suppose I could fill and re-drill, but I'd rather not try it, and I don't want to pay a good luthier to do it on an SX. So the search for a used MIM P-bass begins.

So no, Fender and SX parts are definitely not interchangeable. I think I'll reassemble the SX, sand down the hump in the neck and coat with epoxy, and give it to my band's keyboardist.
  7. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I've had some experience with this. Some parts are interchangeable, some are not. The pickguards will fit, but will require some work and a few new holes. I opted not to do this, and bought a pickguard from Rondo for $10 shipped. This works well but only if the color you want is one of the limited selection Rondo has.

I changed my SX tuners for some made by Mighty Mite, which I'm not sure if they're directly fit a Fender or not. I had to enlarge the post holes a little bit, but not a whole lot. I had to make new holes but the new tuners completely cover the old ones and don't interfere at all. I guess it's not vice versa according to the post above.

Bridges WILL swap out directly though with no problems.

Pickups WILL swap out with no problems.

Neck plates WILL swap out no problem.

One more small note, string retainers made for a Fender won't work on an SX because the SX headstock has a sharper break angle for the strings than a Fender does (which makes tension and break angle on the E and A strings better), so a Fender retainer puts too much pressure across the nut on an SX on the D and G strings.