1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender is not going public

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Jul 20, 2012.

1. It seems as if they are not going public until the market stabilizes.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wait...Fender needed help to screw something up?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Ha!

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    If it goes public, does it mean i can get a Precision for free?

:bag:

5. Absolutely!! Purchase about 200,000 shares and I'm sure that they'll throw in a bass of your choice! ;)

6. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Will MIA production then move to China? ;)

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How about a takeover by Gibson...would be fun, no?

9. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Fender needs capital, but looks like they found some. Going public would have made them stronger. Something must be amiss in the filing, or, they got spooked by the Facebook IPO flop.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The withdrawal could also be to save face due to a poor reception and perceived lack of full subscription of the IPO.

11. gibson need fender as a rival. its just the way it is.

12. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Maybe they looked at their brand roster and realized that there weren't enough competitors left, to justify raising that much money for further takeovers...

13. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
  14. I totally believe this is evidenced by the swell of new models and breaking new glitter/glam-ground in things that they can build inexpensively and sell fast. Why else would one believe that all these great Squier models even exist in the first place?

The lead-time for a new model may only be 30 days now with tooling as pretty much the same, just change a rout or put in different p'ups and call it a new model.

Fly-on-the-wall-overheard-conversation: "Hey - let's put a left handed neck on this right handed bass! We can sell it!"

Turn-around time from China is the only reason why the cash flow lags behind the out-go for a bit. With enough rabid/fanboi Fender/Squier zeal being borne by people like us, there is always if not totally a huge market, at least some decent sales.

I do NOT believe this blip momentum can be maintained for much longer. Hence Fender Corporate et al, is in a scramble to create more cash flow. It looks more like aligning the deck chairs on the Titanic to me.

I present for your appraisal: that abortive-backwards bass-thing that's been an object of conjecture on this site for a few weeks now. More to the point: it's ugly to me but appeals to a niche market.

ECONOMIC HINT: Niche markets will not sustain nor create much more than a slight bump on a cash flow chart - not for long anyway.

MORALITY HINT: The big gun gear (read: $$$/CS/MIA stuff) isn't setting the market on fire any more in this - let's get logical here: 'depression' - and the emphasis is to keep the doors open with a plethora of respectable-but-less-expensive models being sold to both upper/mid players and n00bs.

On an artistic level, Squiers may be passable (they ARE for all reasonable persons - myself included) - but not the ultimate desire of many people with a dream to own something MIA.

My economics guru/friend calls this self destructive business model as creating a 'Brazil-Fund'. That's a way to get a quick cash turnover and escape to Brazil before anyone knows what's going on.

Face it - the CEOs and their families don't have any other interests. Before the world market totally, eventually implodes, they'll get 'theirs', buy an island somewhere and (hopefully) ride it (the world chaos) out.

Fender, sadly, is not unlike any other blood-sucking corporate leech. I say 'sadly' since I think most of what Fender does is iconic, and I'm not immune to the idea that it's apostasy to say 'blood-sucking leech' and 'Fender' in the same sentence - the same paragraph, even!

The biggest question is can Fender - or any other company that is a conglomerate with a mother ship - keep the market (players) pumped and hyped enough to spend their lunch, rent and children's shoes fund on newer and 'different' basses/guitars?

Time will tell.

15. A company would have to grow to be able to turn a profit on Wall Street. Since they have been around for so long and already have a large market share, their stock would tank. The only other way to grow would be to continue to buy other guitar companies to create a near monopoly.

16. Maybe they should be bought by a large media company. What could possibly go wrong?

17. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I think they may have been concerned about an outside large corporate entity trying to buy up a controlling interest in the company and having outsiders influencing business decisions and not just the customer wants and needs. If this was the reason I think it was probably a smart move.

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Don't say it!
    My last Gibson Custom Shop 6-string (an Alex Lifeson ES-355, with mis-placed volute, chatter-marked fretboard & various finish flaws) was a pos compared to anything I've ever seen from Fender's Custom shop.
    Just look at what Gibson did to Tobias & Steinberger when they took them over - you want that to happen to Fender?
    :rollno:

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I guess I forgot ':D' in my post which I spoke pretty much in jest on this one.:)