Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender is sending a new neck, Yay!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by um... yeah, Jul 17, 2004.

1. A couple months ago I purchased a Fender Jazz online with a bad neck, and a maxed truss rod, and after my futile attempts at fixing it, I sent it into a local store with fingers crossed hoping for warranty service.

The repair guy takes notice of the ludicrously tight truss rod and the ridiculous action on the neck, and then tells me it's a simple matter of adjusting the micro-tilt, lol.

Right there, I knew I was in trouble with this guy. I then threw out the suggestion that since the bass is under warranty, maybe a new neck would be best. He says no, there's no problem with it. At this point I realize the guy is an idiot and that I should thank him and leave. Which I did.

Fast forward to a few days later, and I'm at the biggest store in the city feeling pessimistic at best. Anyway, to make a long story even longer. I explain my problem to the 18 year old girl at the counter and she draws up a work order for a basic set up and inspection and voila! The repair dept. calls me up and tells me what I wanted to hear. "We're going to order a new neck" :smug:

I guess the moral of the story is when it comes to warranty work, it pays to be stubborn. ;)

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    +1

This is right out of my owners manual...

"If you are inexperienced at doing neck adjustments, or lack confidence, it would be best to have a reputable professional guitar technician do the work for you. A word of caution: There are a lot of hacks calling themselves guitar-techs, so be sure to get good references before you let anyone perform this adjustment."

That pretty much says it all.

Good break getting the new neck.

Cheers.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    was she hot?
    :D

4. Both of the female emplyees at my GC are hot.

The just recently hired the second one, and she is FINE. ;)

5. Lol No, hot isn't the word that comes to mind. More like the alternative type, slight build, thick rimmed glasses. You know the deal...

I made a point to be extra nice, and I guess it paid off.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yeah, bummer about Fender quality control. I had the same problem with a new 5 string FMT Jazz Bass a couple of years ago. After the going through the usual red tape, like you did, I just asked for a full refund. The diff back then was that Fender said that they didn't have any replacement necks at the moment and that I'd have to wait. so, I said forget it and got a refund. oh well...

:scowl: :oops: :(

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>More like the alternative type, slight build, thick rimmed glasses

Hhhmmm, some days that can be hot from a change of pace perspective. ya know what i mean?

8. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Man, some people like to try to impress others by coming to solutions quickly, even if they are wrong. I have seen this type of behaviour from people in many industries. They believe themselves to be the authority, they make snap decisions and they commit to them at all costs.

I would bet that you will be reluctant to do business at that person's store in the future. While that in itself will probably not cause them to go under, it will still have economic impact.

I have to stop myself before I start talking about the economics of incremental business and it's relation to fixed costs, sunk costs and ROI.

9. They told me the same thing, lol, so nothing has changed. The bass in question is a '70's RI Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock. I kinda suspected there wouldn't be a replacement available since there were only 200 made.

It will probably be a '75 RI neck, which I'm cool with....to be honest the matching headstock was not really my bag of nails.

..and yes Joe you're right. I'd just like to add that, you can tell a lot about a place by observing how much physical space is given to guitar repairs. If it's a tiny cubicle, just leave. :cool:

10. tommc

tommc

Apr 17, 2004
    leeds uk
    hi,

I had the same problem with the Fender Jazz i bought online, it came with a bowed truss rod which i tried to adjust until i realised nothing was happening. I took it to a local repair shop who told me the the bullet on the rod was worn away so no allen key would fit it. Do you think i've got a right to claim under warranty?

Thanks,

Tom

11. It sounds like a used bass so, no you're not covered.

But If you mean the bullet is stuck and can't be moved, there is actually something you can do. I had this problem with my old jazz bass and here's what I did:

I carefully cut a slot lengthwise across the top of the bullet about 1/16" deep with a small hacksaw. Then I used a slothead screwdriver and slowly unscrewed the bullet out of the hole. ;)

12. Well, I thought used basses were covered under warranty for 1 year. I don't know exactly what that entails, and if you had to do something special to get this warranty, but it's worth a try.

13. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    About 6 months ago I purchased 60's CLASSIC FENDER BASS 699.99$,after trying to set it up I noticed a high treble side in the first 5 fretts,So i brang it to a buddy of mine who's an authorized Fender repairman.
    So after deeming the neck un-fixable,for it would need to have the rose-wood removed and the neck neck re-plained and then re-fretted, we decided it would cost more than getting a warrenty neck from Fender.
    So he ordered a neck from Fender and come to find out that bass is a known offender for having a bad neck,The Fender dealer said it would be about 2 weeks,So after 2 months they called us and said the high demand for the neck on this bass would cause the waiting period to be 6 more months!
    So at this time i was an employe of G.C.,the manager said he would honer a complete refund if I called Fender and got permission to send it back,After fighting with the sales rep and having the repairman call him 3 times they allowed me to return the bass and get a High-way 1 Jazz bass in exchange. :D .
    All this hoopla wasted 8 months of my time ,but it was worth it because I waited till a perfect Jazz bass came in and I scooped it up,so for 399.99$ i got an american J-Bass.
    FINALLY JUSTICED IS SERVED :bassist:
    PS. I used my store discount to get the bass for that much,because I got the 60's classic on sale for that price. :hyper:

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i wanna work at a music store now!! my friend is going to work at Steve's in Montreal, but in the drumming section, so he can't get me deals on basses. but my dad knows Steve personally and my brother went to school with his daughter who now owns another music store which i can also get deals in. Steve actually lives really close to me. I'm guessing only people from montreal, ottawa or toronto know Steve's Music Store.

15. My bass is being repaired at Steve's here in Toronto. I find them to be very easy to deal with.

16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Fenders not easy to deal with especially when it comes to warrenty work,they want every thing possible done to prove it was they're fault,and even then they are jerks.
    The dude at Fender that gave me a hard time was the same guy I made tons of money for by selling Fender basses,after that experience I kept my distance,as long as the repairman goes to bat for you then you will get your neck. :bassist:

17. Not to take this thread too far off track, but the folks at Steve's here in Ottawa are absolutely second to none.

18. There's a damn fretless MIA Jazz at Steve's in Montreal that I've been wanting for a year now. It's missing a volume knob, the strings are dirty and the whole thing looks like it's been hanging there for a long time (which it has!). I want it!

Back on topic, Fender had better cover for the bad necks they make. It's not necessarily their fault, but they have such a bad reputation and such a large number of occurances of bad necks. I'm glad to see that they're taking the time to at least consider replacements. Although, it's quite ridiculous to have to wait that long for a new neck.