fender is to squire as MM/Traben/etc. are to OLP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, Dec 16, 2005.

1. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    are OLP's cheap unplayable copies, or are they actually pretty good basses? i saw a traben copy on MF that's absolutely smokin for a great price too! so i was wondering if the brand is at all reputable.
  2. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Well, according to your list of your basses on the post you include an OLP. So you tell us; is it a good bass? The most important thing is if you like it then it's a good bass! If it plays good and sounds good then who cares how much it costs. Don't let all the gear snobs trick you into thinking that you have to spend thousands of dollars to get a nice instrument. In this day and age there are lots of perfectly good instruments for well under five hundred dollars.
    A good example is one of the SX (Essex) bass mega threads right here on this site. The SX basses range from 90 to around 150 dollars and there are many people who are very pleased with these inexpensive instruments. You might do something like adding an upgraded pickup and having a good tech do a setup but you very well my need that on an expensive bass as well.
    Back in the 60's and 70's and maybe even into the 80's most inexpensive guitars and basses were cheap unplayable junk. Now, however with CNC machines and offshore production you can have nice functional instruments for very affordable prices.
    granted a 150$ bass is never going to be as nice or as a 3500$ custom bass but alot of us can't justify that kind of dough anyway. I would have to become ALOT better player to honestly justify spending three months mortgage on another bass. I know most of us get G.A.S. but I think the real key is to enjoy the basses we got in our hands already rather than constantly jonesin' for the bass that's still on the guitar shops wall. ;)
  3. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    that's my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). a.k.a. the-things-i'd-like-to-have-but-more-than-likely-will-not-have-in-the-near
    -future *deep breath* list.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does OLP make a Traben copy now? If so, I do not see why... Trabens are fairly inexpensive as it is. I play a Phoenix 5 and love it. Its a bit on the heavy side, but you get used to it. The OLPs I have played looked good but didn't sound very good. Same with the Squiers I have tried. The best basses to my ears under $300 are Ibaniz and Peavey 4 stringers. I couldn't find a 5er I liked under that amount though... But I would say that my Traben is worth 2 or 3 times the amount I payed for it; there are very few production basses I would take over it, and those instruments would leave my wallet terminally ill :p . Plus, none of em look as good as the Traben. :smug:
  5. I owned a OLP 5-string for about a month. It looked just like a Stingray, natural wood finish, black pickgaurd, humbucker. From my short experience with it, I thought it was a pretty good bass. I can't really think of a single complaint except that it was a bit heavy. It sounded good, played nice and smooth. The only reason I brought it back to Guitar Center is cause I wasn't using the B string at all, it basically just became a thumb rest. I figured that for the price of a decent 5-string, I could get a much nicer 4-string.
    I don't think they're so bad really, but I didn't have it that long. I don't know about the long-term problems it might have (neck warping etc)
  6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    OLP's get very good user reviews on all of the online music gear sites. Inexpensive and they seem to be pretty indestructable.
  7. ss81

May 29, 2005
    I used to own an OLP stingray copy a couple of years ago (traded a pretty nice MIM precision for it- one of the dumbest trades I've ever made). I don't know if they've made improvements since then, but I remember it feeling like a very cheap bass, right on par with the lower-end Squiers. My main complaint would be the shoddy fretwork. As with any mass-produced guitar, you need to play a few (which I didn't, I decided I wanted the only blue one they had in stock) and find one that feels the best. If you can get one with a decent fret job, you may have a more enjoyable experience with it than I did. The maple neck was also pretty much bare wood with either a very light satin finish or no finish at all (which, if the latter is true, would raise concerns about warping). I personally prefer a neck with a semi-glossy finish like most current Fender MIM models, feels more comfortable (but this is just a matter of taste, many players prefer the feeling of bare wood). Finally, and this is another matter-of-taste thing, but I just didn't see the point of a passive MM humbucker pickup configuration. To me, that active humbucking sound is the reason you get a stingray, and the passive pickup without any active preamp just couldn't approximate that sound.

Of course, this is all just my 2 cents, and of course YMMV.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My experience with OLP's is they are total crap. They have gotten good reviews elsewhere though, so I would guess they are somewhat like Squires, and a lot of other low dollar basses. There are probably decent ones out there, but you need to try before you buy to make sure you are getting one of the decent ones.