1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender J Bass Deluxe and That Funk Sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey all,
    I have a Fender American Jazz Deluxe, and have been experiencing some problems trying to dial in that nice slap and pop sound since I purchased it. It just sounds dull, and I've tried a combination of different dial tones. I was recently reading about these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511390/

Do the deluxe precisions offer a better pop and slap sound than that of the J basses or do I need to look into another bass company all together? My active Yamaha that I got rid of was awesome for this, but I've been a bit unimpressed with the pop and slap tones of the Fenders, and I have three of them.

2. Skaboy21

Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    Hey man, it's all about punch! heh, just boost bass, keep trebble 1 or two notches behind it, and cut the mid. cutting mid will vary on ur personal preference, since affects the attitude. also, personally, i use nickle strings as opposed to steel. i just like the way it sounds.

jay

3. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    What strings are you using? IME, string type can play a major part in getting that zingy, slappy sound. I'd experiment with a few sets before flipping the bass for a new one...

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Strings and Amp are both real important. I had pretty good luck with Marcus Miller DR's on my old one. What amp are you using?

5. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    At home I am playing through a Fender Rumble 100. In studio I have an Avatar 212 and a Behringer BX3000T head. It's not something I've noticed in studio as I haven't used it for a while.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    What he said plus DR Hi Beams :D