Fender J Bass Deluxe and That Funk Sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey all,
    I have a Fender American Jazz Deluxe, and have been experiencing some problems trying to dial in that nice slap and pop sound since I purchased it. It just sounds dull, and I've tried a combination of different dial tones. I was recently reading about these:

Do the deluxe precisions offer a better pop and slap sound than that of the J basses or do I need to look into another bass company all together? My active Yamaha that I got rid of was awesome for this, but I've been a bit unimpressed with the pop and slap tones of the Fenders, and I have three of them.
  2. Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    Hey man, it's all about punch! heh, just boost bass, keep trebble 1 or two notches behind it, and cut the mid. cutting mid will vary on ur personal preference, since affects the attitude. also, personally, i use nickle strings as opposed to steel. i just like the way it sounds.

3. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    What strings are you using? IME, string type can play a major part in getting that zingy, slappy sound. I'd experiment with a few sets before flipping the bass for a new one...
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Strings and Amp are both real important. I had pretty good luck with Marcus Miller DR's on my old one. What amp are you using?
  5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    At home I am playing through a Fender Rumble 100. In studio I have an Avatar 212 and a Behringer BX3000T head. It's not something I've noticed in studio as I haven't used it for a while.
  6. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    What he said plus DR Hi Beams :D