1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender j-bass pickup upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alfresco, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hi, I currently play a fender highway 1 jazz bass, which I am happy with but would love to upgrade it to better pickups and maybe put a preamp in it. Anyone have any recommendations?
    cheers

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Audere make great preamps for jazz bass.

3. seconded on audere have one in my jazz atm. Dimarzio Model J and Ultra Jazz are popular choices. i have ultra Jazzes in my bass combined with the audere and its a very versatile bass tonally now. also if you do a search there is a huge thread (stickied i think) that contains reviews and comparisons of aftermarket J pups!

4. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Maybe I'm the only one to have this issue, but I tried a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and had some problems with string balance, E and G were really louder.

I have a bass with Bartolini and a Audere Pre-amp, and really dig the sound. Not really a classic jazz bass tone, but a really warm and sweet tone.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +59 on the Dimarzio UltraJazz. Wonderful pickups.

6. Lindy Fralin Vintage Jazz pickups... vintage tone with more output and more bottom end. I love them.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You really didn't give us much info as to your reasons: What is it about the current sound that you don't like? There are a *ton* of options out there, but without some idea of what you want, it's hard to narrow it down.

If you are not sure why you want new p'ups, then you probably don't need them so you should save your $$.

8. what b-pup would you guys suggest for getting a little more low-mid growl out of a passive jazz? i recently got an 08 jazz and the solo bridge tone is great, i just think emphasizing that tone a bit more would sound nice. maybe even a little fatter/tighter growl. eq just aint cuttin it. sorry to hijack. -joep