Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender J-Bass Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Sep 29, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Im looking to get a good Bass around the $400 range. Unfortunately I have to play lefty so Im somewhat limited in my choices, and cant really try anything out before buying.

Ive narrowed my pick down to a few choices, and the MIM J-Bass seems to be the leader. Any comments on the pros/cons of the J-bass compared to other basses around $350-450?

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You might want to try a search on this. You haven't told us anything else you've looked at or what type of music you play. The jazz bass only has pros and cons depending on what you're playing. In the music I am playing, there are no cons to having a jazz bass. So fill us in a little.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Pros: great tone, playability, classic looks, reasonable price.

Cons: single coil hum when pickups not at same volume, inconsistent quality, so play several if possible to find one that's solid and resonant. But the MIM Fenders I've played recently seem well built, both guitars and basses, so it might be less of a crapshoot than it has been in past years. Many very good players swear by them.

If I were in your price range, I'd probably buy one myself.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Nedmundo pretty much nailed it. The biggest con for me is the hum.

As far as the tone, it's really a matter of individual taste. For many things I prefer the Precision's tone.

5. Con: there are millions of them everywhere.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    do they sound worse the more of em there are? :)

or is the object to have something no-one else has?

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That would be a Pro...meaning that they must fit the bill for millions of bassists everywhere. ;)

8. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    You'll never be sorry having a Jazz bass around even if you move on to other instruments.

Find yourself a nice MIM Jazz with a good true neck and you can upgrade pickups etc... at your leisure.

9. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Goodess they have sick prices I wish i didnt get my crappy conrad with my pickups and the bass alone is around the same price...hell my friggin short scale j reynolds was more than that...heck i would killed my self if i got a first act and saw one of those!!

10. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Gotta love Rondo Music !!

11. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I just started playing again, had a 15 year break due to nerve damage in my left hand. Finally decided to get back in playing lefty. I play mostly 80s-early 90s metal, alternative, and classic rock.

The other basses Im considering are an Ibanez SR300DX Soundgear, Dean Edge 4, and a Schecter Omen 4. Being lefty really stinks when it comes time to get a guitar, not much selection.

12. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    They dont have any standard Jazz Basses in lefty right now. Just a fretless, and a classic style with the ashtrays. Not my style. Besides Im looking for something more than a beginners bass now.