1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender J-Bass saddle issue - Awkward String angle - advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Strictly Dave, May 25, 2017.

1. Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased A USA Standard Jazz Bass (love it). My issue is that as the strings pass over the saddles, the are at an angle that concerns me re: string breakage plus its just doesn't look right. Hard to explain but you will see in the attached photo. If I move the string in to a different channel it is straight, however then it is not lined up with the poles on the pick-ups. Anyone have the same problem? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Dave
    IMG_1175.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Those grooves are there so you can adjust the string alignment as you see fit. It's fine.

godofthunder59 and JeroB666 like this.
  3. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Gorn is correct.

Just let the strings loose and flick it over to the next groove down. Problem solved.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ..and it is not important for the strings to pass directly over the pole pieces, the magnetic field they must pass through is much larger than the pole pieces. Get you string spacing the way you want it and close your eyes, then everything will look fine.

Gorn likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. It's all about adjusting the spacing to suit your playing, not alignment with the pole pieces. Though I'd agree it looks better nicely lined up. If I had a jazz where the spacing I like didn't line up with the poles pieces, I'd get plain covers with without the holes.

6. As noted above, the strings don't have to pass over the poles. Most the string and play it; volume on that string should not be affected.

7. Thanks everyone for your comments!

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it looks like all the strings are over to the same side, which makes me think the neck needs to be shifted over a bit or maybe the pickup nudged over. usually a setup with the low E in the center groove, the A in the inner-most groove and the D and G bumped a groove or two over from the center works out to be about right. (note how there's a bigger gap between the A and D strings than the others.)

i gotta say this kinda bugs me too about the newer fender bridges with the wide grooves under the bigger strings; i can't really get them perfectly symmetrical and lined up with the pickup poles like i can with the older ones:

jazzspacing002_zpsd7adb25a.

it's not such a big deal (as has been mentioned) but it still bugs me, and i imagine that i can hear a slight difference with harder playing when the string is lined right up, a subtle softening of the initial transient.