Fender J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just posted this but it disappeared. Fender J's are known for ALOT of mids right? Low Mids give punch?
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have two, and I would describe the Jazz more as "scooped" mids, that is to say, LESS midrange as compared to a P-bass. Of course you can alter your tone dramatically with eq, different pickups, finger positioning, etc.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I guess I've always thought of my Fender Jazz being more midrangy and punchy than the Fender P's that I've tried...

The P always seemed deeper than the Jazz basses I've tried, and darker than the Jazz's as well...
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the P bass has pronounced lower mids, while the Jazz is known for pronounced upper mids, IE that 'farty' Jaco sound or 'that Jazz growl'.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Funny how each of our ears hear tones differently.I guess that's why you should only buy gear after you've decided with YOUR ears.Anyway, I've have both P and J's and to me the J is the one with the midrange emphasis. The P has deep boomy lows and ringing highs. But again, that's my ears.
  6. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I guess it depends on the particular instrument, but atleast my '78 with emg's is very midrangey and has way more punch than my stingray. So if that's what you're looking for, i suggest you try a lot of different jazz basses.
  7. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I agree that the P is boomier and the J has more pronounced mids. It just seems clearer and more deifined in the mid-range dept. It is my bass of choice, but I do dig the sound of P's too. A nice rosewood neck P with an alder body can really get the Jamerson thing going on.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think my J's have very nice, pronounced, distinct mids, both low mids and high mids. Giving it that nice deep growl. I think that P bass's lack the mids and sound very boomy.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It really depends on the individual bass. I've played bright sounding P's (ie: pronouced upper mids and highs). I've played mellow sounding J's. The choice of wood for the body and the fretboard, the age of the instrument, the PU's, the strings, and of course your own playing style can all influence the tone. While the general theory P=low mids and J=hi mids is generally true there are so many other factors that will determine these things. The type of music you play will affect what kind of tone you want. Play each and let your ears decide (yeah I know that's a cliche but it's true :D) what gives you the punch where you need it.