fender j bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_boy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. bass_boy

Nov 11, 2005
    im looking at buying a new fender jazz bass. ive been looking at the mex bass and the highway 1 bass. im wondering what everyone thinks about them. i dont really have the money for a great american, but i would like a j bass. anyway, lemme know what u think.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Used american passive J basses can be in your price range.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The highway 1 is mexican parts assembled in America. In my opinion,its not worth the extra money. I would go with a standard mexican. If you can, try before you buy.
  4. bass_boy

Nov 11, 2005
    what year and stuff. what is a good deal on certain years and for how much?
  5. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried a great Mexi Foto flame sunburst at Sam Ash. $400. out the door price. Sounded cool, played cool, looks cool. Just make sure you play a bunch of them for they vary from axe to axe.
  6. bass_boy

Nov 11, 2005
    this may sound stupid... but i take it u guys discourage online buys? im looking at them at the local GC, but they dont have exactly what im looking for. i found some on zzounds... i guess what im asking is would it be a wise decision to buy online from a place like that without having played it?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    While some people will suggest against it, i honestly think the bass you get from online will be better than anything you find at GC; the basses at GC tend to be abused.
  8. And then others say MIMs are American parts assembled in Mexico. My understanding is the Highway Ones are basically standard parts (made in USA) and assembled in USA. It really doesn't make much difference. I've played great Hwy Ones as well as great MIMs. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Thats the only way to be assured you'll like it.
  9. bass_boy

Nov 11, 2005
    ive never bought online... are they usually nice? i mean like the feel of the bass and the neck and stuff.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

How about used? Used Geddy Lees are real nice

11. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's your limit because I have a USA Deluxe for sale. PM me -it's a 5 string.
  12. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Buying online go somewhere with a no questions asked 30 or so day return policy, that way if it isn't for you you can just return it. I think zzounds has one...I know wwbw (aka music123) does.
  13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'd go with the people who say try before you buy if you can. I played a whole load of J basses before buying one, some of them very expensive, and eventually found one that was just what I was after at the time. It's an MIM, too - if you find a good one they're excellent instruments. But if you buy online you may be sending a few of them back and forth before you get one you like.
  15. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Try before you buy. I have owned both the Highway One jazz and an MIM jazz at the same time. Imho, the Highway one was a better playing, better sounding (killer sustain) and lighter bass than the MIM. In terms of used value the Highway One's still fetch at least $200 more than the MIM's, which is approximately the price differential between them if purchased brand new. A good sign.
  16. I you are on a budget you can definately get a nice MIM Jazz. Most people here are discouraging from buying online because you cannot try before you buy. Guitars and basses vary. They are not all set up exactly alike.
    You can line up 100 MIM Jazz basses and a small percentage will feel and play lilke another. You may like MIM Jazz bass 1, but number 2 feels like garbage, high action etc/
    I bought my MIM Jazz used for $200 bux. I put another $300 into it to make it perfect.
  17. i chose the Hwy 1, over the Geddy Jazz. i sold my Fender Deluxe Jazz V(mim), 6 months after the Hwy 1 purchase.
    it is still my main bass, and that was 3 yrs ago. the Hwy 1 is American built parts, built in America. made in usa. :cool:
  18. patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    again with the try before you buy, i have a '92 MIM p-bass that plays better than any american p-bass (including the highways ones) that i have ever played/owned. I picked it up used at guitar center. I purchased a MIM jazz new at guitar center that came out of the box from thier back room, total garbage for tone, feel, and finish...