1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender J MIA vs Sandberg Cali JM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Feb 18, 2008.

1. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    First, being a lefty, my options suck. There are literally 10 guitars out there to choose from. So in my extensive searches I've come down to the Fender J MIA or Sandberg California JM...I have never touched a Sandberg, but have heard a few good things on here about it, so I thought I'd put it out there: pros and cons comparing each --- any thoughts? :help:

Thanks or any insight -- and ammo for the wife.... :bag:

2. I've never tried the sandberg brand but I've only read positive comments about them. My understanding is that your options would be a bit wider with sandberg.

3. Graeme Moss

Graeme Moss

Sep 3, 2006
  4. Generally I think you get better products from smaller companies than big. Huge doesn't guarantee good, although it should keep prices down. The big manufacturers have covered a lot of newer developments - but at a higher price to their 'nornal' traditional products. So the ideas in the Music Man and G&L have a at times been included in the Fender range, for example. But I feel with Fender it's always from a marketing standpoint rather than real product development and an enthusiasm for producing what's best for players. (Afterall, we shouldn't really be playing basses that have changed so little since the 60's should we? Did time stand still or something?)

Sandberg is one of the newer builders on the block, like Sadowsky. It's difficult to radically change a sound but build quality and customer service should count for a lot.

I'm planning to get a Sandberg because it's different, I'm European, and these look and play like some of the best you can buy. Maybe I'm just contrary!