Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender J-P 90 whats the deal ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, May 2, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i see alot of these basses around(J-P/90)and never hear of anyone on this site talk about one,i know they are US made but what little i know about them is not positive,i heard they have about the same quality as a mex but w/better electronics and a narrow h/stock, whats the scoop guy's ? i know someone here has something to say about them,they seem to sell for abour 350.00-400.00$ used which seems awfully cheap fpr a US made fender WHAT GIVES ?:confused:

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I owned one briefly and it was pretty cool for what I paid for it. Here's a picture of it....

[​IMG]

I really don't have any terribly negative thing things to say about mine. The neck was a jazz-type and I liked that. The body was also jazz-like but the edges were not rounded which I would prefer. It had a 3-position toggle switch (no knob :() for the pickup selection with the center position combining the output of both pups. It sounded and played well. Just wasn't the tone that I was looking for. I do have the feeling that a pickup & bridge upgrabe would improve it performance. During that time frame I wasn't ready to commit to performing the mods. The one thing that I have noticed is if you decide to buy one, you probably won't have a problem getting your dollars back out of it if for some reason it's not to your liking. That is, as long as you don't overpay. ;)

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i need to know if i can i little more specific's like: how does it compair to a reg j/bass ?,what is the quality control like? are they worth the $$?anything else you can help me with please:confused: I just got a new job(doing demolition w/ a labor union YEE HAAAAA $$$$$)SORRY :rolleyes: i'm very excitied about it i've been working crappy jobs since i lost my good job as a welder on the rail-road and recently been un-employed for 6 wks:bawl: So now that i have a good job after i get caught up w/ bill's i want to up-grade my bass collection.i'm gonna get a japanese re-issue p-bass (not sure what year,any ideas guys?)i also want a j/bass but dont want a typical j/bass i thought that this J/P 90 would be a nice little change from the norm, but dont want a piece of crap either,if need be i will just get another re-issue type j/bass and call it a day
    thanks friends:D

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK. I had one exactly like ebozzz's for a while. Not a bad bass, but I personally would rather have a nice MIJ Jazz. I don't think they're worth the $400-$500 that's being asked for some of them. I would think a really pristine example should be worth $350 or so, but that's just one man's opinion. I didn't care for the sharp edges, they put my right hand to sleep. But maybe you're young and in good shape and that won't bother you. :) The body is poplar, and the pickups are a weird ceramic/steel thing. I put some pups from a Fender MIM Precision Special in mine and liked them better. The pickguards like to break at the output jack.

So, the upshot is that it's a good, MIA Fender that just has some idiosyncrasies. You might like it fine. I played mine a lot, but I finally let it go.

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have one. mine's white. it was my first bass. i started to hate it for awhile, but then i got it out after a year or two, and i love it again. i still don't play it live or in the studio though...just at home. i use my jazz for everything right now. the jp-90 is really light, and the neck is really thin. overall, i like mine. i'll never sell it. but that's probably because it's my first bass ever.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Make that two. ;) At around that $350.00 price you should be able to resale it and at least break even if it doesn't turn you on. I'm more of a J-Bass kind of guy when it concerns Fenders but I thought that I would give the JP-90 a try. I didn't have a bass with a precision pickup configuration in my stable. The JP-90 just wasn't the one that I wanted to keep unless I wanted to modify it. As I've said earlier, I wasn't ready to commit to doing that so I let it go. Someone snapped it up in one of my eBay auctions and I came up slightly ahead after the deal was completed.

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thank you guys much,thats just what i needed to hear,i was at my local m/store and was checking out the aerodyne j/bass and it was really cool plus it was made in japan(my kinda of bass)and had mucho tone to spare,i think i found my new bass
    thanks to all who contributed to my thread:D

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i saw one at a pawn shop today,
    it was in decent shape but it was $900!
    it had a set of EMGs
    and a fretless neck.

9. I saw one on eBay a month or so ago, with a Buy It Now price of something like $750. I guess some people see that "Fender" and "Made in U.S.A." and assume it's worth the money.

10. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Wow...another zombie thread. :D

I saw one of these on Craigslist just last week for $200. I've never seen them before either. Had some kind of funky pickguard, that's all I know about it.

11. Saw that, but figured since it had already been resuscitated I might as well add my two cents.

And for $200, I probably would have snagged that one if it was in any kind of decent shape, even if it was just to flip it for a little bit of a profit real quick.

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I for one am pretty glad this got bumped as I've never heard of those things! If I ever had the chance to get one, I'd take that pickguard off, though.

13. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    yeah i brought this back to life.
    saw one today, and i went to search the forums and this was the only one that came up.
    i didnt look at the date until i posted already.

14. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I have one and it just feels cheap. It feels like a Johnson bass to me. I'd rather play my MIM jazz.

But at the same time the last guy who had it did something super interesting with the paintjob. He cut out Dr Seuss books and laminated the paper onto the body and then had it lacquered. It's pretty cool. I thought about putting a different neck on it just to see if I like the bass better (if it feels better.)

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    pic of the seuss bass

16. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    that is a unique paint job.

17. Medium-II

Medium-II Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm getting a JP-90 where the owner tried to relic it poorly for 100 USD.

:bassist:

18. S.B.

S.B. Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Winter Park Florida
    I own a white one. Put Bartolini pickups and badass bridge. Plays and sounds great. Jazz type neck and pickups really made the difference.

19. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    What an old thread to pop up.

I had one for awhile. I think the idea for Fender was to do a made in the USA instrument for a low price. Pluses: it sounded like a really good Fender and it was light. Minuses: ugly and the non-contoured body digs into your forearm. Good deal if you get it cheap and you need the sound.

20. Cobrahawk

Cobrahawk

Feb 4, 2010
    New York City
    I got one for a High School graduation gift in 1990. I still have it and it's still kicking. The tone pot is noisy as Hell but other than that it still plays and sounds great after 20 years of abuse. Like others have said before it's a shade on the ugly side. But I kind of like it. The pickguard on mine just cracked not long ago so I'll probably pick up a new one from Chandler. I hear that's a common problem with these. As for the sound, it's bested every other bass I've played. Every time I record with it the engineers always comment on the tone from this thing. Lots of different tones from it because it's got the P bass pickups with a Jazz bridge pickup.

As for the bass. It's an American made Fender. So quit bitching about the way it looks. Get one if you want an amazing sounding bass to record with while they're still cheaply found. Because these things are a little known about secret. Only made for three years from 90-93. Fender has disowned them as part of they're product line so good luck with customer support. The serial number on mine is 00000014. I also have a Ric and have played through P basses and Jazz basses. This one can keep up with them all.

If you see one cheap, get it! You won't be sorry.