Fender J Pups: "Noiseless Samarium Cobalt" vs. "Noiseless"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by selowitch, Jan 28, 2009.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is there a difference between the "Samarium Cobalt" Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups and the mere Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups (the former seem to run about $150-$170 while the latter are closer to $100), and is it a worthwhile difference?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, there is a difference, and yes, it is worthwhile. The noise/hum-resistance is about the same for both, but the "Noiseless" have a more generic, modern tone while the SCN's have a more lively vintage-Jazz tone.

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Thanks, that's a very informative answer! I guess my follow-up thought is how the SCN pickups compare to the EMG-JVs (with the exposed magnets), but then the front cavity on my Rondo J-Bass copy is so small it would be hard to fit the requisite 9-volt battery. I think the SCNs probably or what I would want. Thanks!

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Double-check the measurements of your existing pups to be sure the SCN's will fit. Not all J pups are the same size.

5. I haven't tried the SCN bass pickups, but I have a MIA Deluxe Strat with the SCN pups and they are NICE. Low output...I don't know what their output is exactly, but they do have something of a vintagey vibe about them. However, they're not really vintage-style pickups. They're a little darker, and fatter. For a strat, they're the perfect rock pickups, in my opinion.

6. imo, the scn's sound like any other humcancelling pickup. ie, not single coil or vintage at all, but high tech

7. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    IME and IMO the SCN's can be pretty aggressive.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Hmm, all I was thinking about was the typical J-bass dimensions (excluding the recent MIM models), to wit:
    pickup_routing_2.gif

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021