1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender J Quality (?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Icarus26, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Does the place where it's manufactured affect it's quality? It probably does, so can anyone explain this to me because i went to guitar center today and tried out a fender j bass since its the labor day sale and i plan on getting one. It's manufactured in Mexico. would this be a good start for a player who is past the squier level? haha (no offense intended)

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Location is indeed a factor, but especially for the MIM Fenders as is the price; you really do get what you pay for. How much are you willing to spend?

3. my budget right now is $300-400, still need to get a good amp along with that and im only 17 and finding a job is tough. my parents are going to buy it for me as a gift.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    If it feels good get it.

The Mexican ones can be worse quality and they certainly the least consistent but it is very possible to find good ones. Americans are very good quality now and I think use better parts than the Mexicans. The Japanese are similar to the MIMs in terms of cost and components but are far better quality generally (sometimes even better than MIAs).

5. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    MIMĀ“s has same body wood and necks as USA because both are from same factory !!!BUT!!! to mexico goes for finishing etc. those which are from more than 3 pieces so I thinks its lower quality grade but same factory ;)

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes the MIM Fender J-Basses are a good place to start, but Fender has also pumped up the quality of the Squier line with the vintage modified series. I own a MIM fretless J and it's a great bass for the low dollars. You just need to do your homework by playing as many as you can until you hit that one that rises to the top as there are some awful good MIM Fender J Basses to be found.