Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jaco Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Mar 31, 2001.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hey all
    i tried a coupla basses today and while screwing around i tired out a jaco fretless and it blew me away! the tone was amazing! does anybody know where these are made? i tried it against an american jazz fretless and that one sucked compared to it...what's the difference between the two? is there that much more attention to quality? but i also understand that fender isn't always consistent and if i'd been able to try another american jazz fretless it may have been differnt but has anyone tried the jaco and the jazz? what do you think?

2. I tried one at the LA Bass Exchange and, like you, was very impressed. I am usually not impressed with "off the rack" Fenders (the setups are usually poor - what a shame! :( ). But, the Jaco version with the poly coated neck was great. If I were in the market for a 4 string, it would be on my shirt list.

Of course, all the basses were well set up in the Bass Exchange.

Jeff

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know...the one i played sounded like ass. maybe it was the flatwounds and crappy setup, but played back to back against a sterling fretless the sterling sounded tons better.

oh well...the music store i played them in has really inconsistant setups.

jason

4. hey (fellow madison bassplayer here) are you referring to Good Music out on University Ave? I think I remember seeing a Jaco Sig J there.

that fretless Sterling they have there is absolutely killer.. and I think you're right about their inconsistent setups

5. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    what's the difference between the jaco and regular American jazz fretlesses?

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no the jaco bass i played was at ward brodt, and the sterling was at good music. good music's setups are immaculate compared to wb's setups.

jason

7. ah.. I popped in to Ward Brot for a few seconds once but nothing interested me.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't think you're getting anywhere fast on here, goto www.fender.com and check out each of their spec pages, compare and contrast. :)

9. Warwick5S, I played the Jaco bass at WB as well and didnt care for it. Crappy setup & flatwound strings are not a good combination ;-)
    P.S.
    Looking forward to hearing you with PP, their last bass player wasnt very good at all.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, it's generally better to use flats on a fretless than to use roundwounds. Bad setup is something you should be able to fix by simply asking an employee of the instrument dealer if you could see the tools required to make the setup match the way you would want it set up.

11. I play fretless most of the time and do not like the flatwounds. I prefer the clearer, more defined sound of roundwounds. I realize you can have any instrument set up, unfortunately I did not have the time to do so cause I was on my way to a gig.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Playing fretless with roundwounds will damage the fretboard more than flats... I'm assuming you know that already though. But if you don't, there yah go. :p

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Roundwounds will eat into the board if you don't play with a light touch, but that's the price you pay for tone!:)

Of course, you can get a phenolic, phenowood or graphite board and not worry about wear at all.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually, it depends. How you play is a huge factor but I guess it's just easier to say that rounds will cause damage. There are exceptions.

If player A plays hard, with flats, he stands a much better chance of damaging his board than someone like me, a roundwound user (for years), who plays lightly with low action and doesn't bend strings for vibrato.

Even if it did, unless you're "collecting" the bass, use the strings that give you the sound you want. Fretboard damage might be the price you have to pay... might not.

This is in the same vein as "you can't slap on a fretless". You can. If ya didn't know, there ya go;)