Fender Jaco Signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xhawk4, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Does anyone have any feedback or reviews on the Fender Jaco Artist series bass? I read some good stuff on Harmony Central, but I'd really like your guys opinion.

I recently found out my wife just bought me a fretted one for our 17th anniversary, due July 25th :hyper:
    Man! I gotta wait THAT long :bawl:
    So I guess my jazz GAS has ended, for now. Hehe. :ninja:
    So much for the Metro!

Well, here's a pic....

Hawk :bassist:
  2. Looks sweet.

But I've never played one. Because all the music stores in RI would never carry one, and if they did, they wouldn't let people play it.*

*mainly a GC stab. God I hate that place.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a chance to play one the other day in Manny's Music NYC, and it played nice, couldn't hear it unplugged cause of the guy behind me slapping a Gold sparkle Stingray :) He bought his bass, I didn't.
  4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I played a fretless Yaco and a MIA fretless J back to back in Edmonton. Honestly there wasn't a huge amount of difference between the two. The Jaco had a way nicer feel to it and it seemed like it had more attention at the factory. The sound was similar if not exact. I think they're a great great great bass. I don't know if I'd shell out the cash for one but I think they'll send most other basses running.
  5. If it's anything like the MIA fretless J, then it must be really good. Seriously, I love that fretless tone. Plus the Jaco looks really cool!
  6. GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    I have tried it before. It rocks!
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you want that bass relic'ed, I will beat it with belt buckles for you for a lot less than what Fender would charge you. :D
  8. I'm coming up to our 15th anniversary but I don't think I'll be finding anything like that waiting for me! :crying:
    Anything over 15's gotta be worth something IMHO :bag:

Was in a local music shop yesterday and a guy ordered a £2400 PRS for a birthday present for someone.

Nice bass though, there's one in a local store and it looks great!

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My SO and I will be hitting five years next March. This year got me a set of strings and some RAM for my PC, so I wonder where you go from there. Some Monster Cables, perhaps? If I'm lucky she'll toss a few bucks into the "New Cabinets" fund. :smug:

Congratulations on the Jaco, xhawk4. I've had the chance to play both the fretted and fretless from time to time, and they've all shown great attention to detail. You're in for one treat. :D

...and buy that woman something very nice now or prepare to :bag:
  10. Thank you all for the replies. Now I'm more excited,(anticipation) than ever.

scarred.... I will treat her well indeed!! :hyper:
    abark.... This is not the reliced version, don't want that one. :spit:

All... Thanks again for the input. I'm at rest/peace now.

She was going to get me the Jazz vintage '72 on ebay now. But I figured I'd be too careful/paranoid to gig with it. Also I heard those years weren't the best ones at Fender. The Metro was also an option. But someone, on this site I think, bought the white one I was looking at Sadowsky for. #M117 I think it was.

I'm pretty much a Fender guy anyway. The Sadowsky will have to wait 3 yrs til my 20th anniversary.

Hawk :bassist:
  11. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Why would someone waste their time slapping a Stingray in a music store? :confused: Everybody knows that bass is good at doing that! That's as bad as plugging a Wolfgang into a 5150 and playing "Eruption". It's made to do that!

Maybe we need a thread about things people do in a music store that makes you go huh? I nominate your story as the thread starter.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned both the fretted and fretless Jaco Artist basses for several years now. They're both very good. The fretted happens to be one of the very best Fender Jazz basses I've ever owned or played and that includes vintage ones. The fretless is almost as good. Congrats. Here's a pic of mine together:

13. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Hey man, your is giving it to you as a present: that means it's the BEST bass in the world and YOU WILL like it! No other option :)
  14. Good answer BassFelt. I LMAO!! :smug:
  15. The Jacos I've played can be described as nicer versions of the '62 Reissues. I think you'll love the bass.
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I have owned both the Jaco Signature, and Custom Shop Relic bass.
    The Sig, is like a good 62 reissue.
    The Relic is as good a any vintage jazz I've played or owned.
    Granted, one is $1300.00 the other $3300.00.
    If you can buy the relic, get it best Jaco bass out there.