1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jaguar Bass: a question about pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Televator, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Televator

Televator

Aug 24, 2011
    I have a late 2000's, MIJ Fender Jaguar bass (3-tone burst) with the stock pick-ups in it. I've noticed that when both of the pick-ups are activated (in either series or parallel mode) there doesn't seem to be any 60 cycle hum, though there definitely is when only one pickup is engaged. This got me wondering: are the pick-ups in this bass reverse-wound? It would explain the lack of noise, certainly. Lately I've been thinking of trying a new set of pick-ups in this bass (maybe some Lindy Fralins?), and if the stock pickups are reverse-wound, I'd like to make sure that any replacements are too.

Does anybody know the answer to this question? I've search around, but I can't seem to find any info. on this.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yep. That's the way virtually every two pickup bass with single coils is set up, and thus why there is no hum when both pickups are up full.

3. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I think it's pretty common to have hum when soloing one pickup, and none when both are being used :)

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    What he's tryin' to explain is that it seems weird to him (and myself as well) this passive humcancelling parallel mode behavior in a bass with active/passive circuitry (active in this very case... again: correct me please if I'm wrong, buddy)

or otherwise: I really thought (that's why I don't have answer to that) the CIJ (former MIJ) Jaguar bass had noiseless pickup

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Televator

Televator

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks! That's what I suspected. The wiring on a Jaguar bass is pretty unusual, so I wasn't sure if one of the pickups was reverse-wound or if something else was going on.

As it happens, I've been looking into a set of Lindy Fralin J-bass replacements, so I called them this morning to ask the same question. The guy I talked to said that most, if not all, J-bass style single-coil sets include a reverse-wound pickup, including all of theirs.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Wallace

Active or passive doesn't matter with regard to 60 cycle hum so I don't understand what you mean.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyway, what I meant (and thought Televator was meaning) was that I know well passive singles (or Jazz shaped pickups, singles or not) can be standard or noiseless.
    Pickups working with/or designed for active electronics "should" be "almost necessarily" humcancelling.
    Again: just my thought (and what I thought the OP was asking about)

Cheers,
    Wallace