1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jaguar Bass or Aerodyne Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBasss, Sep 3, 2008.

1. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    So last month I traded a QSC amp that I don't use anymore for a Squier VM Jazz which I have really grown to love. I have always loved jazz necks and the tones that come out of them. I also like flashy looking basses (I am in a glam/hard rock band) which is why I usually play either a BC Rich or a Thunderbird on stage and have never been much for Fenders. Recently I've used a modded Peavey P-bass copy with an SX Jazz neck as a back-up which again I love because of the fast neck and the rumbling sound. The VM Jazz really has gotten me back on the Fender train though and I am looking at purchasing one as one of my main stage instruments. I've narrowed it down between a Black Jaguar Bass and the Aerodyne Jazz models. Pros on the Jag are that it's a cool body shape, has the thin jazz neck and the pick-ups are decent. Cons are from what I've read that the electronics are sub-par for a bass in this price range and that it's a bit neck heavy. Pros for the Aerodyne are that it again looks really cool and has most of the benefits of a jazz bass. Cons are that I've heard that they feel a little cheap (lightweight, knobs, input jack, etc.). I'm going to put a BAII bridge on whichever one I end up with immediately, but I'd rather not change pick-ups out for a while. I'm going to hopefully get to test both out this weekend. Both I believe are still being made in Japan, correct? Suggestions, insights?

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Personally I would (I did) choose the Jag. I got the red one. Went into GC about a year ago intending to buy something Jazz-like. Immediately ruled out the Aerodyne. Then the Geddy. Came down to a choice between the MIM Active Deluxe and Jag. Played/inspected both for a good hour or two, trying to decide.

Ultimately I went with the Jag. Has the best of the Geddy and a 'regular' Jazz with flexibility of active (or not) electronics. I haven't had any trouble with the pups on mine, however I am not in a gigging band, so have been pretty easy on it.

At some point I would still like to get the MIM Active Deluxe, but for now I'm happy with the Jag. In fact:

Not long ago I considered selling it (only because I have too many basses) on Craigslist, so I took it out of the case for some 'farewell' noodling and immediately thought to myself 'there is no way I'm gonna sell this'.

If you go Jag, get the red one. Its more 'glam'.

As always, the opinions expressed herein are my own and your proverbial mileage may vary.

3. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks Jo6Pak. Anyone else want to chime in?

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I prefer the Jag, more versatile though I think the Aerodynes look great. The Aerodyne would interest me more if bass weight were important to me but it's way down my list.

5. There is no question, get the Jag. In my opinion, the Areodyne is the single most over-rated bass on the market today. I have yet to play one (or see one be played) that doesn't sound terrible.

I'm not sure who told you that the Jag has sub-par electronics, but they were wrong. The electronics setup in the Jaguar bass is one of the coolest and most versitile in its price range.

6. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Agreed. HOWEVER, the series mode in both active and passive settings is exteremly hot. If you don't have a decent quality pre-amp on your head with adequate of headroom, you may clip the input signal. Make sure to roll back the bass and treble on the dials (upper horn) because they seem to be "boost only" with tremendous gain. Flexible, yes; but slightly tricky to dial in one's sound.

Passive mode was pure vintage! Loved it.

Every other aspect of the Jag seems to meet your criterion, so I would go with that.

I only sold mine to finance my dream bass.

Good luck and let us know your decision.
    :bassist:

7. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, I was pointing 80% or so in the Jag direction just wanted to see if anyone thought the Aerodyne was the bees knees per say. As far as electronics being sub-par the main complaint I've read on here is that the battery compartment is kind of unwieldy and can make noise if you bump it too much. I'm a pretty aggressive player live and move around a lot. I don't need any pops or clicks coming through my rig. If I get the Jag I'll probably use the passive mode most often. I would think that the battery would basically be disconnected from the circuit at that point. Thanks for your replies.

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I used passive mostly as well. When in active mode, I never had the battery box issues that you mention.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Although I would choose neither, I had an Aerodyne Jazz. Bought it on a whim based on the looks. It does look good. But it was a stinker of a bass. I never could get anything I liked out of it. The Jag, otoh, seems to be pretty sweet, but for me, too complicated with all the switches and whatnot. A passive normal Jazz bass would be my pick, sorry.

10. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I love my aerodyne, but what do I know

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have A Jag and It is a kick ass bass in most ways the only real shortfall is you have to at least shield the Pre amp space or it will make all kinds of noise if you take your hand off the strings. Once shielded it is dead quiet. Yes the active mode bass and treb pots are full on in about an eighth of a turn but once you figure that out you can leave them set and turn the pre on or off when you want. And it does do the vintage thing well and it is only improved with a BadAss II