1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jaguar Bass Shielding Project

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Slap_N_Slide, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

Jan 2, 2013
    I recently bought myself a 2008 MIJ Fender Jaguar Bass.

Was in absolute mint condition, but low and behold when i got it home and put it through the cab it was noisy as heck active, and not so bad when passive, but still very disappointing for an £800 bass. My other bass (Spector q4pro 18v EMG BTS hz) kicks its ass in the clean sound department.

Decided to do something about the lack of shielding.

So far i have shielded all inside cavities.

The difference is unbelievable, other than replacing the pickups or preamp i cant see me getting it much better than it i just now, almost no noise with the preamp on, and silent on passive.

Would highly recommend this upgrade for all fender active owners without shielding, it definitely works a treat!!!

Not for the faint hearted though, thought id blown the preamp at one stage.

Attached Files:

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Did you have to cut and re-solder any wires? I'm getting ready to do some shielding myself but maybe not this extensive.

3. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    You can cut the ground wire that goes to the bridge but you don't have to, you can just loosen the bridge and pull it out but you'll have to remove it to get the wire back in place later