Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedalsteeler, Mar 20, 2006.

1. pedalsteeler

pedalsteeler

Mar 20, 2006
    Hi:

I am new to this forum and play pedal steel. I am also a former bass player and want to get back to it. How is the Jaguar Bass? It looks cool and has impressive specs. Anyone play one of these?

2. I personally haven't seen any negative reviews, it's definitely sexy.
    [​IMG]

3. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
  4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Mine:

[​IMG]

Very happy with it so far.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'm seriously considering buying another one because i've been so happy with this one.

[​IMG]

This time in Sunburst from Ishibishi in Japan.

TD

6. pedalsteeler

pedalsteeler

Mar 20, 2006
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback. Are these units available US made, Japan or Mexico, etc. and can you be specific when ordering if you know?

Anyway, MF has them for $699.00 with free shipping. I guess red is going to be the color to go for.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I believe they're all made in Japan and that the ones available here are being imported.

8. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    They are indeed Crafted in Japan. You can obtain the red and black ones in the U.S. Sunburst is available only in Japan. Most online retailers are now stocking them.

I purchased a sunburst one from Ishibashi in Japan. It was a smooth transaction and I had the bass five days after ordering it. Not including a hit I had to take from U.S. cutoms, it was only $24 more to order the sunburst Jag from Japan (and that included shipping). Customs decided to inspect the package and hit me up for another $64. Still, a fast and reasonabley priced transaction.

I am very happy with the bass. Great craftsmanship, finish and all the trademark Fender qualities. I have only two complaints about the bass, and neither one has dampened my enthusiasm for it:

1. The neck is heavy and dives a little;
    2. There is the infamous "dead spot' at the 5th fret on the G

I replaced the stock bridge with a BA II. The BA II is much heavier than the stock bridge and this helped add some balance and reduce the neck dive a bit. As far as the dead spot, it isn't that pronounced when using Fender strings (go figure). When I put XL170's on it, the g string was barely playable. Not a big deal, cause the 7250s I put on it sound just as nice to my ear and the dead spot is much less prounounced. In fact, a buddy of mine thought I was crazy when I pointed it out to him. He couldn't detect it. (I'm really not crazy; I'm just an obsessed bass geek.)

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    damn.. right when my GAS was subdued :(

10. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    AerospaceGuy:

Are you playing the Knuckleheads on your Geddy Lee? If so, can you compare them to anything else? I'm tempted to try some on the Jag and am looking for a point of reference. Fatties or Chunkies?

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    How would you describe the tonal diff with the BA II? I've used then on Pbasses but never a Jbass yet.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I was using Fatties on the Geddy but switched to Chunkies right before a jazz gig just to experiment and LOVE them. I used rotosound swingbass strings forever. I really liked them but they sounded too "dead" too fast. The Knuckleheads have a very rich sweet tone. They last forever and have amazing sustain. I've given strings to all my musician friends and I'd say 80% of them have switched to Knuckleheads for good. If you throw a set on there I'm sure you will not be disapointed. If you like the bigger gauges I recommend Chunkies, otherwise the fatties are great too!

13. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    lug:

I really didn't play it much with the OEM bridge on it, at least not enough to answer your question. I have a BA II on my RKB and I love it for how easy it is to adjust and how precise it is. It came stock on the RKB and I noticed it is stock on the Geddy Lee, so I got a good deal on one on eBay and slapped it on right away. I knew I was going to be trying a bunch of different strings on the Jag until I find something I like, so familiarity with the BA has been a big plus for me. And I'm sure it doesn't hurt the tone, so it was a no-brainer.

14. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    They don't make the jag with a maple fingerboard do they? :(

15. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    AerospaceGuy:

I don't think so. But maybe you could have it custom made through Fender Japan.

16. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Nah.. it would just add about another $900 to the pricetag ;)

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Thanks. I found it to be a significant help to my sound on my Pbass. I'm sure I'll be swapping eventually.

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The BadAss 2 bridge is heavier and covers a much wider surface of the bass than the stock Fender one.

Once you take off the stock one and compare it with your BadAss, you will definatley notice it.

Anyways, because of these aspects, the strings rumble and resonate through the body more and cause more sustain.

The cover of the packaging says:
    Precise Harmonic Tuning
    Tremendous Attack and Sustain
    Increased Clarity of Notes

With that being said, it does all three... Invest in files or a Dremel tool ($12 one) because you will need to file the saddles to accomodate strings. They ALL come unfiled. Make sure you do the filing in the center of each saddle, make it straight and smooth and stop when the string sits in the groove and you can see just over half of the string above the saddle from the side...

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I was mainly wondering about effects on a jass bass. I have 4 BA's just no experience with one on a jazz. You advice on the filing is spot on. I use different sized round files (as close to the string gauge as I can get) and file out the radius of the string. On some of my older BA/s I just did a "V" cut, can't say I've noticed any differnce between the two methods to be honest.

20. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    How is the tone compared to a geddy? I tried a geddy the other day and loved how it felt, but still not quite sure how i feel about the tone. What sounds are possible with the thousands of switches on this beast?
    Thanks