Fender Jaguar or Fender Jazz??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I can pick up a new Fender Jaguar (no case) for about $950 Cdn including taxes OR a used MIA 2002 Jazz S-1 for around the same (maybe a bit more) incl a HSC.

Which one should I get?

I like the cool & new factor of the Jaguar, I've played one and they seem to have a nice tone, nice feel, it's a nice axe. There are lots of sounds in that preamp.

The Jazz is traditional 3-tone burst, in very nice shape, sounds like a Jazz should etc. etc.

I have a MIA Precision and a MIJ Jazz Fretless and they both seem well-built. I'm looking for a good all-arounder 4-string and it's coming down to one of these two. In a lot of ways these guitars are very similar, yet at the same time they couldn't be more different.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    where did you get that 950?

fender jaguar is only 699
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

$850 CDN (the best deal I could find from several dealers) plus taxes = approx $975 CDN. Yes, I have seen that the US online prices are about $700. That would work out to about $810 CDN at current exchange rates.

However, Fender dealers do not seem to think it's necessary to be in the same neighbourhodd pricewise as their American retail competition. We pay a premium for Fender here in Canada. Most dealers have the Jaguar @ $949 Cdn. which is over 15% higher than it needs to be.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I thought for sure this thread would generate some responses because of the obvious overlap between these two models.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Jazz (a nice trad 3-tone sunburst MIA with S-1 switch vs. the Jaguar (which I have played and quite like).

Any opinions?
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Since you already have a Jazz, go for the Jag.
  6. I'm really intrigued by the Jag Bass - have been ever since the Web-Shop of Japan posted pix of it. Thing is, they offered a sunburst in addition to the Candy Apple Red and Black color choices which MF offers. I'd much prefer a Burst without having to pay exchange rates..