Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jaguar or Fender Jazz??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I can pick up a new Fender Jaguar (no case) for about $950 Cdn including taxes OR a used MIA 2002 Jazz S-1 for around the same (maybe a bit more) incl a HSC.

Which one should I get?

I like the cool & new factor of the Jaguar, I've played one and they seem to have a nice tone, nice feel, it's a nice axe. There are lots of sounds in that preamp.

The Jazz is traditional 3-tone burst, in very nice shape, sounds like a Jazz should etc. etc.

I have a MIA Precision and a MIJ Jazz Fretless and they both seem well-built. I'm looking for a good all-arounder 4-string and it's coming down to one of these two. In a lot of ways these guitars are very similar, yet at the same time they couldn't be more different.

Opinions?

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    where did you get that 950?

fender jaguar is only 699

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

$850 CDN (the best deal I could find from several dealers) plus taxes = approx $975 CDN. Yes, I have seen that the US online prices are about $700. That would work out to about $810 CDN at current exchange rates.

However, Fender dealers do not seem to think it's necessary to be in the same neighbourhodd pricewise as their American retail competition. We pay a premium for Fender here in Canada. Most dealers have the Jaguar @ $949 Cdn. which is over 15% higher than it needs to be.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I thought for sure this thread would generate some responses because of the obvious overlap between these two models.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Jazz (a nice trad 3-tone sunburst MIA with S-1 switch vs. the Jaguar (which I have played and quite like).

Any opinions?

5. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Since you already have a Jazz, go for the Jag.

6. I'm really intrigued by the Jag Bass - have been ever since the Web-Shop of Japan posted pix of it. Thing is, they offered a sunburst in addition to the Candy Apple Red and Black color choices which MF offers. I'd much prefer a Burst without having to pay exchange rates..