Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster (guitar)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Impulsee, May 26, 2003.

1. Im thinking of getting a guitar. the closest thing i have is a Baritone Guitar. Some of my favorite bands play a Jaguars, some play jazzmasters, im just wondering which one you guy's think which one is better. Heres a pic of a Jaguar

- w00t

2. and heres a Jazzmaster.

- w00t

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had a 1961 Jazzmaster from about 82 till 95. Great tone, but I hated the bridge.

here's me in 85 from my Senior yearbook. notice my Ibanez Destroyer headstock behind me :D
    [​IMG]

4. do you still have it??~?? or do you have like...a recent color pic??~?? mabye you could sell it ^_^

- w00t

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I sold it in 95

it looked EXACTLY like this one
    [​IMG]
    but was a year newer.

here is one of the best guitarist I've known borrowing it to join my old blues band on stage at an outside festival in 93
    [​IMG]

6. ouch you sold it...lol, anyhoo. What do thoes switches do??~?? i know that the jag has 2 more then the jazz. Also, how much did you sell it for??~??

- w00t

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I think I got $1500 for it, I sold a couple pieces at the same time.

the upper most switch it to change from the standard volume and tone to the top set. Next to the upper most switch is a recessed volume and tone... with both pickups on. The normal setting uses the bottom front 3 way switch for pickup selecting.

the bridge 'pivots' on a set of pins and it's a bitch to intonate... and if you play heavy right handed like I do, the strings jump from their 'thread' in the saddle.

8. oh...hmm.. yeah after sitting here foir a while, im thinking of getting a jag. why you ask??~?? 2 more switches, and theres like..a metal plate around the switches...thats awesome...^_^

- w00t

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the jag because it more of the single coil jangly/funky tone, versus the jazzmasters bigger tone - plus the jazzmaster is strat scale whereas the jaguar is shorter scale (right?)

10. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    The jag will probably have better distortion sound or something... yeah...

Personally I like the Jazzmaster, get that and a Jazz bass and you'll look quite classy.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My dad had a 1962 jazzmaster. It was in the family until 7 years ago. Sold it for $1500. The action on them is pure butta!!! Theyve got a great tone too IMO. Very clean and clear.

I think the reissues are going around $1200.

So IMO you'd probably be better off finding someone willing to sell an original one, they dont cost that much more. $300-$500 more depending on the year.

IMO the reissues dont even come close to matching the originals quality, it doesnt sound as good to me as the one I grew up with, the and the playability is not even close to the original.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Were I in your situation, I would pursue a Jazzmaster.

13. They're both good guitars, but, I lean a little towards the Jaguar.

Do yourself a favor: get a Telecaster. A lot of people think they're boring and simple, but, I think they have THE BEST TONE - PERIOD!

Just my $.02

Mike

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Did Jazzmasters ever come as hardtails, by the way? That tremolo thing looks just horrible on otherwise pretty nice guitar.

My vote would go for Telecaster(best looking guitar ever in butterscotch with white pickguard and maple fretboard!) or 335-like semiacoustic though.

15. You could do what my guitarist did: get both.

...along with about a dozen other surf guitars.

16. lol yeah im in love with telecasters. I was gonna buy this one kids really nice MIA telecaster for 200$. He knows nothing about music, his grandpa bought it for him, and he doesent want it. It was cherry with a creamy white pickguard. I played it and i almost passed out with joy. But then the next day i call him and im like "hey i got your money, lets do this" and hes like "sorry, my dads makeing me sell it to one of his friends". I almost died. but now idk..im just in love with jazzmasters and jaguars. I think im gonna get a jag.

- w00t

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you can build a hardtail jaguar at warmoth, which is probably what i'd do vs. the reissue with the crummy tremolo.

but the little flip mute thing is :cool:

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i agree, but i'd rather have a strat that i can select the two outer coils.

19. meh i dont want a strat...everyone has one. I dont like um. i want a jag or jazz ^_^.

- w00t

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

In the late 1980's a friend of mine started buying up old Jazzmasters. He has about 12-14 of them. Various colors and conditions. They're very cool. He even has the one pictured in "Wheeler's American Guitars".