Fender Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 14, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Anyone tried one of these? I tried one today and I must admit I was quite impressed. Great tone and surprising versatility, albeit the tone control layout was...interesting. They have the t-bird like body, and they say fender on the headstock. Very playable as well, overall a very nice bass! If you get a chance to check one out don't hesitate.
  2. i played one at a local shop through a bassman 450 head. awesome tone, great neck. best fender for the price besides the geddy. i dunno if i'd ever needa use all those switches and gizmos, i didnt have much time to fiddle around with em though
  3. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i have it and i really really think you cant go wrong with this, good value, really comparable to Geddy if not better, much2 more tonal shaping capabilities than its fellow MIM .. so .. grab it :D
  4. i played one the other day. i was quite impressed. first off, it looked great, with the matching headstock, and the Jag body.
    it had a Jazz bass feel. the sound was very Jazz bass, but seemed a little shallow, until i found the right switch. i didn't have time to figure out the "roller knobs" on the top, but overall, it made a good, first impression. i'll be back to play it again, soon. :cool:

played it at Murphy's. have you seen they're new showroom?
  5. I own the Jaguar Special guitar, and the switches actually give it a lot of versitility. The one by the upper horn is the "Rhythm" circuit. It gives you a chunkier sound that you can use to just play chords or just use for a heavier bass filled sound in general. The roller knobs next to it control the volume and tone for the neck pickup, since it's solo'd when the switch is on.

If you switch that off, you should have both pickups off.

The lower three switches are for the lead circuit, they control the neck pickup, bridge pickup, and wither or not you want a cut in the bass freqs (respectively)

The volume and tone are controlled by the regular knobs. I think that's how it should work on the bass, because that's the lay out on the guitar.
  6. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    the upper horn has..

1 switch:
    - upwards - active
    - downwards - passive

only active will engage the two roller knobs
    the one closest to switch is bass
    the other is treble

unless you want to experiment with it
    most players, left it passive and use the amp's eq to deal with
  7. I just recently played one. I was suprised at how nice it was. It played great and had a ton of tone options. I really didn't think the neck would be that smooth ( I find that on alot of less expensive Fender's the necks can be a little rough).

I considered going back to Fender with this one. :meh:
  8. I just thought I should do this for reference.

9. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    looks aside what are the main differences between the jag and an active jazz??
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well, it looks cooler and it has a passive/active option as well as the series/parallel option.
  11. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    so the jag is better than a jazzbass?
  12. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Is it shortscale? Musiciansfriend doesn't say, but I thought they were. Sharp bass, really like the matching headstock.
  13. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm saving for one as we speak. I'll probably be ordering it within 3 weeks.
  14. mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I was researching them before I bought my Sad. They are not short scale. I thought they would be, too, but they seem to be 34". They're pretty mcawesome, and if I can talk myself into selling my P or J, I may have to buy one...
  15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    My Hot Red Jaguar is due to arrive tomorrow or Friday. I'm looking forward to it.

16. I have very little experience with Fenders, except for a recording seesion recently where I played our guitar players Fender Precision. How does the Jaguar compare to a P or J bass in that prices range? I mean TONE-wise. It really is a cool looking bass, I have had my eye on a Gibson Thunderbird Studio bass for some time, but this Jaguar bass has my eye wandering!
  17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I own a Jaguar Baritone Custom (~29" scale 6-string) and I just tried a Jaguar Bass at my local music store the other day. It had a nice, meaty passive tone and was sleek and playable. Bright red finish is beautiful, slim neck was comfy. Active circuit definitely beefed up the tone (and boosted hum when pickups were soloed). I don't think I'd buy a new American Fender (though I'd certainly consider a nice used one) but the Jag is a lot of bass for $700.