1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan 62 reissue Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarThumb, May 2, 2006.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Anyone tried it? What are the difference between this and the standard pbass?
    How does it compare to an MIA bass?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I have one.
    It's probably the best Precision I've ever played (and I have played a bunch of them).

3. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The CIJ's are very, very nice instruments, but aren't completely to spec. Bridge saddles, tuners, sheilding, and most importantly finish are not period correct. They also don't include a pickup or bridge cover.

I have a US '62 RI and it really is a marvelous wonder.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    All true, except mine (PB62-70US) does have the correct (threaded) bridge saddles. The budget models (that have Basswood body and Japanese pickups instead of Alder/Ash and USA pickups) have the saddles with one groove instead of the period correct threaded saddles.

Another thing different about the CIJ '62RI P is that the neck width is 42MM (about 1 5/8") instead of the period correct 1 3/4".

5. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've only breifly played a CIJ '62 RI and the modern neck was a huge let down. There's nothing like a wide flat neck in my opinion. That's why I fell in love with early 60's P's, and is the core reason for me getting a reissue in the first place.

The finish is the next biggest difference between the two. The nitro finish of a US RI, although the body is sealed in poly, let's the wood ring out alot more, and plainly feels better in your hands. Feels like wood as opposed to plastic.

Also the bridge and p/u covers cost about $40 shipped, then you have to get a case for about $150-200, and in the end it still won't have the resale value of the US if you finally decide to buy a genuine vintage instrument.

Still a great instrument. Way worth it if you can't cough up the cash for a US.

Another good cheaper RI is the Mexi 50's P. Go to the guitar shop and see if you can play one as they're readilly available, unlike the CIJ. They're pretty nice.