1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan '62 Reissue Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hi TB'ers,

Does any you own one of these? Are they any good? I have found a few with good prices but wondering it would be better a highway one P-bass?

A friend is thinking of getting one so I have been doing some searching about them. So if you have some experience with them please tell. Good or Bad!

-Christian

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I own one (model number PB62-70US), and I consider it to be one of the best Precisions I've ever played or owned. I like it better than the both the older and the newer Highway One. I recommend getting the higher end model that has the Alder body, USA pickups, and threaded saddle bridge.

I should mention that as great as my bass is, I did have to shield the back of the pickguard (with a 12"x12" self-adhesive copper foil sheet obtained from a stained glass shop for $4) to eliminate some crakling noise I was getting from static electricity buildup on the guard. But I haven't heard about any other bass players who have had this static electricity problem, it usually just affects the Strat players.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I can dig it!

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Actually I notice it is the cheaper model. Order the upgraded model from ishibashi with the alder body and USA pups.

6. I bought the lefty version in 3-tone-sunburst from Ishibashi this past August, and I'm very happy with it. Mine has the basswood body, but no complaints about that. It's lighter weight, and I think it sounds terrific.

7. Sorry!
    But what are Ishibashi or who?

8. Ishibashi is a Japan-based music store. It's fairly popular with non-Japanese customers who want to buy Japanese Fenders. Their website is a bit clumsy to navigate in English, though -- your best bet may be to email them and ask for a quote.
    http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

Guitar Japan is another good source for Japanese Fenders:
    http://www.guitarjapan.com/

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

or just get an American Vintage Series one. these are great basses. im GASing for one too.

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    those that own MIJ/CIJ basses, can you reply with what your basses weight?? ... I am most interested in Jazz bass models ... thanks!!

11. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    As with any Fenders, they can vary.

My P seems fairly light (8-8.5 lbs?)

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The basses currently being made by Fender Japan are better in fit and finish than almost everything coming out of the USA factory, and are definitely Fender's best quality per dollar. The Hwy 1 series instruments are good, but with their recent "upgrades" (I liked 'em better the old way), and subsequent price increase, they aren't as good a deal as they used to be.

My CIJ 57RI P is one of the lightest and best playing P basses I've ever played - it sounds fantastic, too.

I just put a CIJ 62RI J neck on my MIM J (with a little bit of trimming on the neck pocket), and it is just awesome. I have not seen a better finished Fender neck ANYWHERE.

13. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks.

It came with a black pg, I had the tort pg made by Roger of Jeanie's Pickguards. He does good work.

RS

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Has anyone removed the p/g on their 62 RI MIJ/CIJ Jazz ?? I am curious as to the routing underneath, if it is playable with the p/g removed (jaco style)?? ... thanks!!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021