Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Japan 75 Reissue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Feb 15, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Is Fender Japan Still making the 75 Reissue basses?
    I'm looking for on with Black Block inlays (Like the Geddy bass) I already have the Geddy but i'm looking for a 75 reissue bass with a standard neck.

Natural with Maple neck (Black block inlays)?
    Sunburst with maple neck (Black block inlays)?
    Black with Mpale neck (Black block inlays)?

How much do these basses go for in the UK, and where could i get one.

Thanks

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    actually fender japan ceased to exist about 2 years ago. Any geddy lee that you buy will have a 2000 or 2001 serial number. Sometimes reissues pop up at ebay at around the price of a used american bass, maybe a bit higher.

3. http://www.parkcity.ne.jp/~mitaka-g/eg-eb/fjcst-b/

Fender Japan did not cease to exist two years ago. Click on the above, that's the custom color chart available from them.

If you go to Ishibashi.com, you can email them and ask about any bass you are interested in. I ordered one from them last Sunday, and it arrived yesterday.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The fender japan 75 reissue did cease to exist for sale in the US. It seems you can now buy it by ordering it directly from japan, but you'll also get spanked by customs fee and whatever shipping is across the big pond.

BTW, the japan '75 reissue has the same skinny neck as the Geddy bass.
    Also, fender japan does not use black block inlays on any of their '75 reissues, only on the Geddy. Fender US has the black blocks on the maple board reissues.

5. Well, ceasing to exist for sale in the U.S., and just plain ceasing to exist at all are two different things.

When ordering from Ishibashi, there are no custom fees when the product goes into the U.S.. They quoted me a shipping price, and told me that the price was before any customs fees on my end. The bass entered the U.S. without any further fee. The only thing that I paid was shipping.

6. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I ordered a 75 Jazz RI from Ishibashi on 2/9 and received it on 2/14. It was a very easy transaction, and their communication with me was superb. I got the natural finish with a maple neck w/white block inlays. I prefer the look of the white inlays on the maple neck rather than the black blocks, but of course, that's just a matter of personal preference. The grain is matched seamlessly on the 3-piece body. And it sounds great!

And as Russ experienced, I paid only for the bass and shipping. No custom fees were charged.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I got a P from Ishibashi a few months ago and I didn't get charged any customs fees.
    I got a great bass!

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The JPN '75 Jazz basses I've played didn't have a neck like the Geddy.

If building is an option, you can get a maple with black block & inlay from <a href="http://warmoth.com/Bass/necks/Binlay.htm"><font color=blue><b><u>Warmoth</b></u></font></a>. Scroll to the bottom of the page I provided for some more info.

9. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    > "It seems you can now buy it by ordering it directly from japan, but you'll also get spanked by customs fee and whatever shipping is across the big pond."

The axes ordered from Ishibashi land for very competitive prices.

> "BTW, the japan '75 reissue has the same skinny neck as the Geddy bass."

Not true.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/world/guitar/fender-j/bass/jb7590us.htm

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No customs fees?? How can that be on a japan made product?

Anytime I've gotten things imported, basses or what have you, I have always gotten a separate customs bill about a month later.

Nino,
    I owned a '75 japan reissue. The 3 Geddys I've played had the same skinny neck which all appear to be based on the skinny original fender neck shape of the 60's...which is the same shape as my '70 jazz.
    I've had original late 70's jazzes too and those deeper shaped necks didn't get replicated on the japan reissue.