1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenjikun, Apr 11, 2009.

1. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Some guys are asking if Fender Japan Custom Shop really existed before. Found this on Japan auction, '92 MIJ Jazz Custom Shop Limited Edition, looks cool.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thats awesome.....really nice bass. I am moving to Okinawa in about 3 weeks, so I am glad to know those fenders are still there. Are there any other luthiers in Japan that I should check out?

3. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    There's a Fender Japan Custom P bass I have my eye on in Aomori prefecture when I get home that I want to get. Hopefully she's still there waiting for me when I get back :)

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

4. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    I guess you're a MARINE bassist:D Aside from Fender, check out the Bacchus and History brands. These are top of the line Japanese instruments.

5. Actually, I'm in the Air Force...but I don't play for the Air Force band...thats PacMans job....for now:ninja: I'll be sure to check out those basses when I get there.

6. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Thats pretty sweet bro. If you see any cool colored Jaguars over there, take a pic for me. Have serious gas for a sweet nonexport JAg.

7. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    When you get to Yakota AB, browse around but be aware that where you have an American base, the immediate area surrounding the base is always suspect to unscrupulous salesmen. Especially those that set up night stalls for a couple weeks and "move on." It's gotten much better in the recent years and still has nothing on South Korean or Thailand and Hong Kong but it's still there. Also remember that many of the Okinawans there don't like to be referred as Japanese usually. Especially the older generations.

Just keep your nose clean, don't become a drunken fool in public like many other of our Airman,Marine,Navy brethren in the area and leave any "mainland" Japanese expectations in Kyushu. The Okinawan's have a decidedly different culture from the "mainland" Japanese, rich and diverse in it's own right.

If I were you, I'd take the ferry or space-A into the mainland on a holiday weekend on a pass/leave and head to Tokyo once in a while, and check out some of the sweet music shops they have there. Welcome soon to Japan and keep your nose clean and remember you're representing all of us here.

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It doesn't, as such. FJ is not a manufacturer.

Like many other brands, their "Custom Shop" is actually a contractor.

9. Hey! How come you forgot to mention Shorelines?!!:ninja: