1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan Jaguar Bass 1962 Reissue (Modifications)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arifin, May 2, 2018.

1. No, go for it!

33.3%
  2. Technically speaking, yes... it will only come close.

66.7%
  3. Wait! Every bassist needs a Precision Bass pickup (in the neck).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arifin

Arifin

May 2, 2018
    Hi everyone!

For recording purposes, I intend to use my Fender Jaguar Bass as my main bass and am considering modifying it to my wishes. The sound I'm after can pretty much be summed up in the following video, namely the third bass which is a vintage '61 Fender Jazz Bass (from 4:00):

Yes, I'm aware that the tone of that vintage Jazz Bass is the sum of its parts, meaning that the bass' body and individual parts together gives it its distinct sound. However, the Jaguar Bass I'm using does have Jazz Bass-inspired parts, most notably its neck and pickups. So I was wondering, and forgive me if this question might sound silly, would I be able to come close to achieving that sound by replacing the Jaguar's pickups with vintage-voiced Jazz pickups? Other modifications I have in mind are: replacing the wiring and shielding to reduce the Jaguar's noise; replacing the stock volume and tone knobs with special knobs that offer individual volume and tone controls per pickup; playing with flatwound strings.

So, fellow bassists! What are your thoughts? And has anyone here tried out something similar with their bass? I'm looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance! :)
    Here is a picture of my Fender Jaguar Bass:

26732253_10155569077798558_508182898_o.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    javi_bassist likes this.
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Have at it and good luck. That Jag is a beauty.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You will be at least 90% there by putting flat wound strings on the Jag. I'd do that first and see where I'm at before going though all the other stuff.