Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Japan Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, May 1, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Hi :smug:

seein one of many japan jazzes on the internet im just wondering how many of you have them and what would the quaility be like?? would i be right in sayin they are a middle stepping stone between MIM and MIA :eyebrow:

They seem really nice and i dont get the chance to play many quaility fenders
    [ireland is more of a cort and vintage place :bawl: ]

and i cant afford a decent MIA so any comments would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Aurin :)

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I've owned them all: I had a MIA P-bass and currently own a MIJ and a MIA Jazz. In my opinion, the MIJ is justa s good or better than MIA. Those Japense maufacturers are qualkity Samuris!

Don't knock the MIM as they are good but I see some qulaity inconsistencies. Before you have a good long try before you buy inteh msuic store.

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have a MIJ jazz for over 10 years. Not only are they great playing, well made instruments but they are stable over the long run. I swapped the pickups out for Barts otherwise, nothing.

4. I've played some MIJ Fenders that were pretty good, and mostly had issues with cheap electronics, dirty pots, etc. Overall, the construction is great, better than MIM in most cases, and the only problem (mostly near the cheap end of the MIJ spectrum) that tends to appear is cheap pickups and whatnot. The higher end ones have MIA pickups, which should alleviate the problem. Basswood, alder... I've never been 100% sure which was which from the basses I've played, but I gather it's not much of a big deal. There's a beautiful Candy Apple Red MIJ at my local music shop, which plays amazingly and sounds great. It's a 60s reissue, with the glossy neck and everything... Comparable to a MIA. Try and see, but you'll find that MIJ are mostly pretty good and some are excellent.

5. I own a Geddy Lee Jazz (which is made in Japan) and an Aerodyne Jazz that was made in Japan for the Japan market and I would have to say that both are of high quality and would give the MIA Jazz bass a run for the money. Personally, with the new switching system the is being installed in the MIA basses I would recommend the Japanese models.

6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I've got an MIJ Jazz I bought about ten years ago. It's based on the the '75 Jazz, and I got it because I wanted a 70's style Jazz. Quality is great, but I set it up with Seymour Duncans and a Badass II bridge because that's what I had on another Jazz I owned at one point. Haven't regretted it a bit. Plays nice, good tone, and relatively inexpensive.

BTW, It's for sale, $300 plus shipping, and pics on request. Email me if you're interested, or PM me. It's in excellent condition and comes with the original hardshell case which is is very good condition.

Why am I selling it? Because I have a '73 Jazz with black block inlays that I play more.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    CIJs are flat better made than either MIM or MIA, and the neck finish doesn't disintegrate on them the way it does on FMIC Fenders.

The Fenders made for the Japanese market are generally different and better equipped than the very few FJs that FMIC imports to the US, but actual build quality is still superior on either export or domestic FJs.

I still haven't been able to get a confirm/deny on FJ production now being done by Kasura.

8. I own two used MIJ's. A Precision Lyte Deluxe and 75' RI Jazz. Both have great sound and necks. Never regretted buying either, especially when considering the price. You can't go wrong with one.