1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan Pino Palladino P-Bass !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Folks,

Looks like a new model to me - PB62-PP - priced at $600

http://www.musicland.co.jp/tokka/shib_3f/img_bass5/8.jpg

Curses ! - was hoping not to buy any more basses this year.

No info on woods or pick-ups yet - anyone know if the body is alder or basswood and if the pickups are US or Japanese vintage ??

Judging by the price I would say alder and US pick-ups

Bill

2. I hope that makes it's way over to the states. I'll have to pick one up if it does.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Doesn't look like they got the color quite right.

4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think that anyone could get the color right unless it had a Nitro finish. Even the Custom Shop Pino is a little too red for me.

I bought this bass because it is the closest thing to Pino's actual bass and I dig the color.
    nash.jpg

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm really diggin the idea of a nice alder/rosewood p bass in that color scheme with a nitro finish, passive electronics, ti flats, and a nice pickup

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    But it's probably got the 1.75" nut, the biggest turnoff I had for the real bass.

7. I played the Fender CS one last week. Neck was incredibly thin and the bass must have been about 6-7 lbs. Easiest playing P bass I've layed my hands for sure. However the 3k pricetag is just ******** in my eyes. I'll go Valenti before Fender CS.

8. I spent some time trying to navigate around that site from its homepage, but couldn't find the sales page for that bass. There's very, very little in English on that site. I contacted Ishbashi already (Ishibashi routinely sells basses that they don't necessarily carry, but can get), and Ishibashi says that this bass was made for that particular store, and they can't get/sell one, unfortunately.

Anyone know if this store will sell abroad/outside of Japan?

9. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    Did you ever get a chance to contact Musicland Key? When I was shopping for a LP around this time last year the only shops I found that would respond to me, let alone sell or ship to the US, were Ishibashi, Ikebe, and Big Boss. The only one who would take cc's was Ishibashi, but the others would take bank transfers (costs more). Many smaller Japanese shops simply just don't have staff on hand who speak English so it can be tough to even contact them. The only other option I could think of would be to possibly contact one of the eBay sellers who sell Japanese market guitars and see if they'll be able to source one for ya and go that route. Def a sweet looking P-bass though. :bassist:

10. Hey there EunosFD - I sent an email and didn't hear a thing back from them.

Good tip on the ebay sellers...I'll go that route for the time being - thanks.

11. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Funny how it looks like mine CIJ 70 RI:
    attachment.jpg

... with a little bit aging I guess...

12. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes - those wide necks are a bit uncomfortable to those of us with smaller hands. I do like the $600 price much better than the $3K+ for the US ones.

Is the new Japanese one relic'd like the US version? Can't tell from the pic but it doesn't look to be.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    Yeah, I had that happen quite a few times too. I suppose they just didn't have any English speaking employees available to write back. Good luck with your search. :)

14. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    I don't believe the Japanese version is relic'd as I've personally never seen a factory relic'd Fender Japan instrument. Edwards (made by ESP; great stuff) makes a really nice relic'd P-bass however, but it only comes in 3ts with a tort guard (and 2 relic'd J-basses):

http://www.digimart.net/gk_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00173148

[​IMG]

15. Hmmm,

Looks like I'll have to go for a PB62-78US in Fiesta Red or PB70-78US in Capri Orange and stick a tort pickguard on it.

Basdam - is your 70's P-bass Fiesta Red or Capri Orange - it really is difficult to bring out the true colour of these basses in photographs.

Thanks for the info guys !

Bill

16. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Mine is Capri Orange and I love every opportunity to show it off :) It was brighter and more orange when I bought it but it darkens every year. I guess a Fiesta Red 62 is more similar to PP's bass. BTW 62 is 42mm@nut and 70 is 40.