Fender Japan Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a Japanese Fender Precision bass, mid 90's model. Are these held in the same high esteem as the current Japanese models? What would be a reasonable price ? Cheers!!
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't know how they're viewed relative to current Japanese Fenders (some of which we don't get in the U.S.), but I have a 1994 MIJ Foto Flame Precision that's excellent. It has one of the best P-bass tones I've ever heard, and it's well made. I much prefer the neck of my 2004 Am. Ser. P, but that's a matter of taste, not quality. The MIA is a little more solidly built and has much better tuners, but the Foto Flame's tone is better IMO, with more "grind," and it had way more output than the MIA with its stock pickup.

I paid $250 plus an Ibanez SRX 500; the seller was asking $550 as of June 2004. I think I got a reasonable deal.
  3. I had a mid-90's MIJ P-Bass and I kick myself daily for selling it. I'd have no qualms about paying $400 for one. Check e-Bay and see what they're selling for.