1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I am looking at used Fender Japan '62 RI Jazz Basses on Ishibashi. If the model is JB62-75US, would this be a CIJ model? (note: not MIJ). In the picture, it has the larger reverse style tuners. In the picture of the JB62-58, there are smaller tuners, so I am assuming this is MIJ. Can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know how much these run for new? Thanks!

2. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Hi, I checked the Ishibashi site and I did not see any Jazz that have reverse-type tuners. (If you have it, please post the photo or show the link). Those with bigger "baseplate" ( where the four screws are located) have US pickup while those with smaller "baseplate" has Japanese pickup. The ONLY way to see if those are MIJ or CIJ is by checking the serial numbers.

3. I would recommend you only consider something with the USA Vintage pups.
    There are plenty of threads on CIJ/MIJ basses in TB.
    I bought a fretless JB from Ishibashi - good guys to deal with so email them!

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Are you checking under used? Search Fender Japan JB62-75US, and you will see five models with the larger baseplate. Wouldn't these be CIJ?
    Are the Japanese pickups bad? I plan on replacing the pickups anyways, so if the pickups are the only thing that is different, I may buy the MIJ model.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What would be the difference between a JB62-75US and a JB62-58? Is it just the pickup that account for the difference in model and price?

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I was under the impression that 'Made in Japan' was found on the earliest ones, like the E series. That would be betwen 84-87. I don't know if that is when it changed over to 'Crafted'...I'm sure they were fighting that cheap implications the 'Made in Japan' used to have. Funny now, isn't it?

7. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Aside from pickup and hardwares, the wood. Those with US pickup have either ash or alder while those with Japanese pickup have basswood.

The only way to tell if those are MIJ or CIJ is by knowing the serial numbers. e-mail ishibashi and ask for the serial numbers.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Alright, so I want to go with one of the US models.

Are the brand new '62 RI the US models or are those only available used?

9. OlafR

OlafR

Jan 31, 2006
    The Netherlands
    When Fender Japan changed factory (from Fujigen to Tokai and Dyna Gakki) they changed from MIJ to CIJ. That's the only difference.

I own a MIJ with US pickups, alder body etc........ Great bass! :smug:

10. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan

Both used and new, whether MIJ or CIJ have either USA or Japanese pickup. If you are buying a new one (CIJ) there is a sticker on the pickguard indicating the USA pickup is installed. No sticker on those with Japanese pickup. If you are buying used, unless the bass is not modified, check the body wood and the tuners. If its basswood and the tuner baseplate is small, definitely it has Japanese pickup.
    Be aware also that there are models that have Japanese made DiMarzio DMC pickup.
    Check my signature, I put a list of 2008 models for reference.

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for clearing it up, I thought CIJ were old and good and MIJ were current and not as good. I'm happy I was wrong.

I checked your signature, awesome reference! I found these two models very attractive:
    http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb66b-us-vwh-jazz-bass.html
    http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb62-us-3ts.html
    How much do these go for new in USD? Is it possible to order them from the US? Thanks

12. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    JB66B-US sells between 90,000-110,000 YEN ($900-1,1000)
    JB62-US between 80,000-100,000 YEN ($800-1000)

Fender Japan no longer exports to the US. Of course, some sellers will do especially used ones. But for new items, I think it depends on the retailer.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ouch on the prices--the yen has been pretty strong lately, I'm sure those were cheaper a year or two ago. But yes, my first thought was that we can't get new basses from Ishibashi in the U.S. anymore.

FYI, Aqueous--there are a couple used Lakland Skyline DJs for sale floating around TB and laklandowners.com in the same price range. (No affiliation with the sellers.)

14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    you can get new basses from ishibashi. i emailed them last week with questions about ordering a new jb62 or aerodyne and they replied the next day with price quote and shipping cost.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Wow thanks! What was the price quote for the jb62? Was that the jb62-us, or the standard japanese model?

16. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    yeah, they do new instruments too, I asked as well, and you could also ask them by mail if they can ship you a MIJ or a CIJ too, they would probably do it, their service is amazing

17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I'd be concerned about tariffs, customs, stuff like that, just 2 cents.

18. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Here's an email I received in response to my inquiry