1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan Traditional and Hybrid series Ps and Js

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Apr 25, 2018.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I just saw these for the first time yesterday - sort of like the MIM Classic Series (traditional) and the American Original Series (Hybrid)

I am not sure who is building the current MIJ Fenders - but I like the looks of that Hybrid Series 50s P - the only reason my MIM 50s was moved on was radius...and this has modern. I am in.

Anyways - didn't see these on here yet - apologies if they have been posted and I missed it.

Traditional 50s P :[黑桃家]Fender Japan日芬TRADITIONAL 50S P BASS 电贝司PB57-淘宝网

Hybrid 50s P: [黑桃家]Fender Japan 日芬Hybrid 50s P Bass(PB57) 电贝司-淘宝网

Seems like there are 60s Js and Ps, 70s Ps as well: Fender Japan-黑桃家的店-淘宝网

2. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I noticed them on eBay as well.
    However, I wasn’t able to find much info on them via Google.

Subscribed.

pudgychef likes this.
  3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Curious to see/hear/play one
    With all the Fender Japan mystique/love...I assumed folks would be keen.

4. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Really?? With all the hallowed MIJ reverence here, nobody is interested in a new line of Fender Japan!?

5. Parzival

Parzival

Jun 16, 2013
    Alabama

Very interested. Keep me posted. Maybe I missed something, but I thought Fender Japan closed.

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Don’t get too shook up, most people around here would much rather rave about how much better their Squires are than Fender custom shop basses.

Japanese Fenders new and old are some of the most under appreciated basses out there.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Dub56 and pudgychef like this.
  7. They probably won't get a release outside of Japan sadly

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I can get them in China...and Ishibashi usually good about intl shipping.

Thought for sure the MIJ-philes would rejoice. :)

9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I feel like they get a ton of love....I certainly love them....but then I love MIM and MIA....and some MIC....ha

Really thought folks would be juiced to see these. :)

10. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Cool! I'm seeing these from Japanese vendors on eBay.

From what I gather, the Traditional P has basswood body and 7.5 radius and vintage frets. The Hybrid has alder body, bigger frets (and I assume flatter radius). Thus the "hybrid" mix of old and new? I would think about one.

pudgychef likes this.
  11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Same ...that 50s Hybrid is calling my name. Modern radius...old school look. Perfect.

12. Fender has the Japanese Exclusive range in Australia. I tried on PBass and wasn't all that impressed with the tone and feel, I would like to try more of the range to see if I just picked up the a bad example.

pudgychef likes this.
  13. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    Every Fender Japan bass I've played has been incredible. Amazing attention to details.

The Flamingo Pink and Surf Green Jazzes look fantastic :bassist:

14. Subbed.

15. Gerbsu

Gerbsu

Dec 1, 2018
    Subscribed. Looks really interesting!

16. Josh Pop

Josh Pop

May 25, 2019
    I recently bought one of these Hybrid 50s P basses from Japan and had it shipped. Its alder body and the build quality is excellent. I had considered getting one of the Player (MIM) series but tried several and thought they were all pretty poor. The Japanese ones sit at a nice price point - a bit more than the Players but less than the American Performer/Professional series.

The sound and intonation is excellent. I put flatwounds on mine and it really does sound so motown - the bottom end is authentically P-bass and it has that nice growl. The pick-ups are US vintage ones which is a nice bonus too. Have been using it for recording and it’s certainly the best bass I’ve ever recorded on.

It sounds great but doesn’t look quite as nice as the American ones - its quite shiny and feels “modern” and a bit plastic-y rather than vintage.

In sum - its way better than the Player series for only a slightly higher cost. It sounds incredible but probably doesn’t look quite as nice as the American series.

imabuddha and Joe Capodicasa like this.