1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender japan, why so cool!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, Apr 27, 2006.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i was just looking at http://guitarjapan.com some of this stuff makes me foam at the mouth, i could spend 10K easy. i know it's been said, but why doesn't fender usa have 1/2 this stuff.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Good question... It's a shame the only bass we get here under 1000 with block inlays and binding have them painted on :p

3. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I want this one!

[​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of the matching headstock, but I could deal. Also, I'm thinking more and more I need a P pup so I might change that at the neck position. Who am I kidding, I might as well make a warmoth bass :)

4. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    The real reason is one word "market". Everyone here plays, or at least for a time learns music.

When I was in high school(in the US) everyone thought I was the coolest guy because I played bass and was in a band with kids from two others schools... there was one other bass player at my school... out of over 2000 students! Now I know that was a while back.

Here in Japan my Junior and Senior High students (girls too) all play something(piano, violin etc), and most also want to play guitar or bass (girls too) so they get the equipment... everyone has a guitar or bass and Fender is king. Everyone wants "new" stuff, so it is quite a market... if Fender builds it someone will buy it... and the current phenomenon is "baby boomer bands", middle aged guys and older who worked hard and now have time to play... they grew up in the sixties, and they want Fenders too... they have real money, so they tend to buy top of the line, and vintage stuff, but the vintage stuff is limited in supply so Fender Japan obliges by building the truely cool reissues you are are lusting for (after all, you gotta look the part!!)..... because they have a market that numbers in the millions...and that is just here in Tokyo.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nicely said, Jon. I was just gonna say 'cause the Japanese know what's what, and we don't.'

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Yeah, but a painted warmoth body, a set of pups and a bridge is going to cost you as much as that whole bass.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I find that absolutely sweet. I may have to go back for that one soon!

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'm not a big fan of Fenders, but if I ever bought one it would be one from Japan. I'm going next month, I may have to stop in...

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In addition to the factors mentioned above, I don't think bass in Japan suffers the same "background instrument" stigma that it suffers in Europe and the U.S.

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to see shots of these without the pgs.

I'd get one these if I had cash to blow. Our band may possible go out to Japan for a mini-tour depending on how well our next cd does out there.

I was considering going there and purchasing a bass, rather than go with gear, and be worried about losing a 6 string Elrick on a flight. It'd be a gamble, plus 4 string is no 6 string either..... I'm still debating that plan.

11. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Wow. I really want that J/P hybrid Jazz. *drool*

12. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    $1160 for a sting bass? that's outrageous! i just wish we could get the other good stuff here for a better price

13. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Gundam Battle Rifle guitars...LOL!
    I would love to have it, even though I hate guiter.

14. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's true. Why does Warmoth charge so much for paint? Is there anyone around TB that does it for cheaper?

15. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have a 62RI that I took the fretted neck off of and replaced it with a Fender Japan fretless (unlined) neck. I still cannot believe how great this thing looks and plays!

I was a little "skeptical" of Fender Japan, but this neck has done it for me!

RF

16. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Check out the Fender Marcus Miller 4-string. Okay its made in Japan, but sold by Fender America. The street price is around $830 and can be had cheaper if the store likes you. It is the best JBass for the money Fender has. Basically a '77 RI, block inlay and binding, ash body, vintage PUPs, pre-amp, BadAss II bridge, active/passive switch and an incredible neck. :hyper:

17. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    yeah i've been dying myself to get a MIJ fender jazz bass but i came across a great deal on a MIA jazz so i couldn't pass it up. i also own a MIM fender p-bass but i plan on getting a MIJ p-bass later in the future. i think also i'll play them first hand seeing that im going to study in tokyo for a whole year starting in the fall. i'll be able to make a comparison up close espeically because i plan on bringing one of my basses with me to japan.

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    If you need a 6 string there should be no problem finding one there. There are an incredible number of excellent music stores in the Tokyo area and Joninjapan would probably help you out with some names if you asked nicely! ;)

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It seems to be that way with most things in Japan.

You should see the cars and motorcycles that they have for the Japanese domestic market. Way cooler than anything they build or export over here.

It makes me sad.:crying: