Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Japan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xhawk4, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Could those who know tell me if Fender Japan had two or more factories? As I recently purchased a 80's RI Jazz model. It had "Made In Japan" on the headstock and a s/n of Axxxxxx. All the Fender s/n sites I went to suggested that this was indeed an 80's model. :)
    Well when I removed the neck.... "FEB 98". Awww crap!! :crying:

So why do the 90's RI's from Japan have "Made In Japan" on the headstock and others have "Crafted In Japan" on the back lower neck? Why the difference?

I did find out that a true 80's MIJ from the Fuji factory has "Made In Japan" on the back lower neck, not on the headstock.

My search continues for a Collectors MIJ from the Fuji factory.
    Reply with respect, please. If you have any smart-alec remarks, again, please don't reply. As I've been booted from the "Pit" because I got very mad at someone who was a smartarse.
    Thanks alot guys..., and gals.
    Hawk

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Fender japan is still on production with great instruments. Cheaper than americans much better that mexicans. They have they own range of instrument.
    Here is a online music shop that provide Fender's.

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

They are great guys, my friend bought guitar from there.

70's and 62's RI Pbass are calling me from japan....

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think he was asking if there were 2 factories in Japan, although I can't help you, http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html you might wanna check that forum out, someone there might be able to.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

Sorry I don't know about the number of factories.

I had no idea my bass was "a collectors MIJ"; I just knew it's a good one. My unlined fretless Fender has "Made in Japan" on the back lower neck and not the headstock. I bought a fretted one that had MIJ on the headstock but it wasn't quite as nice and I sold it.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes out for ya.

Marshall

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Stupid Question:
    Is the fender Japans owned by fender?

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No.

Fender Musical Instrument Corporation is a minority stockholder in Fender Japan, with holdings variously reported by different sources to be between 40%-49% of FJ's stock.

Fender Japan is an independent company with various agreements with FMIC, but is not a FMIC company. FMIC does not control Fender Japan.

Fender Japan is a marketing company that does not actually produce the goods it sells. Currently, JF instruments are manufactured by Fujigen Gakki. I have read that in the past some Fender Japan instruments were made by one or two other companies, but I have never been able to confirm that.

7. Check out............

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/story.htm

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks for the link Treena. Very apropos as I am waiting on delivery of a Fender Japan Jazz bass I ordered last week.

Dan

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Oh, thats Mixed Feelings for some reason?

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Not at all. I am excited by my purchase but like to know the history of any business entity I deal with, if only because history is somewhat of a passion. I have spent a great deal of time studying Fender history in particular.

Dan

11. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Interesting stuff...

Fender's got a whole lot of history, now doesn't it?

12. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium

tell us more, i really dig MIJ basses.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Some of the information is a little inaccurate or at least dated (currently, FMIC does import FJ instruments and holds a substantially higher minority percentage of the stock, for example), but it's roughly right. Note that FJ is not part of FMIC.

What I have heard consistent rumors of, however, is that FJ had some models made by other than Fujigen Gakki, either for domestic market sales or export. There have been some pretty unusual FJ domestic products, so I don't find that hard to believe, but I've never gotten a straight story on it.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There are several really entertaining and informative books about Fender and specific Fender products. I've read most of them.

Do a search on Amazon and you'll find more Fender books than you knew existed, most available very inexpensively (new & used) from Amazon-linked sellers.

This one is great for vintage bass fans and this one has some screamingly funny stories and photos from the Leo years. Fender gossip to deglamorize a whole era!

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    icks, it's the JB45 which is a basswood Jazz with the Japanese Fender pickups, maple neck, rosewood board. Mine will be black with a black pickguard. Light and jazzy :D.

The books are great. I have several of them and never really tire of reading them. It is amazing how much a part of modern music history Fender has become. Great stories and some interesting lessons to boot. I recommend them as well.

Dan

16. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ok, i'm curious about something.
    i just got an 85-87 jazz from japan, it is white with tort guard. :hyper:

i don't think this is a re-issue, am i right?
    also what wood is the body gonna be made of?
    alder or bass wood, its pretty heavy, a bit heavier than my 77 precision.

it has crafted in japan on the lower back neck, and the serial number is down there too...E9593**
    also a copper ground from bridge to pickup, only says fender jazz bass on headstock.

just like to know details about my instruments, good player, not in collector condition.