Fender Japan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I Wondered if anyone out there have played the Fender Japan 70's Reissue bass and what you think of its Playability?
    im currently bassist in an maiden cover band, so im gonna repaint the bass to Lake Placid Blue, Change the Bridge To an Badass II Bridge and add Seymour Duncan Bassline Quarterpound pickups.. i just wanna know if its the quality of Standard Fender basses(since Most of Fender artist series are made by fender Japan, and they are highly loved...) or if it have the feel and the playability of an Squire bass... I Just want an good Fender Bass with that Fender Vintage 1970 look....and i dont wanna pay alot(i Mean alot of money) for it(or... I will, but i aint gonna have that kind of money for at least 10 years :p)

anyway, thanks for help ;)
  2. You shouldnt have much to worry about chum...MIJ Fenders have a pretty solid rep for being dependable basses...
    MIJ Fenders are usually pretty good..better than the Mexicans and slightly under Americans (in my experience of playing and owning alot of Fenders) Some people will even swear MIJ's are just as good as Americans.

BTW...ever think about holding out to get a used Harris sig? They can be found for a cheap price.
    I paid about 700$ Canadian for mine.
  3. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    yes, i think about that to.. but the body are better wood on the fender japan are better than steve signature..Alder VS Basswood, i have heard basswood usually aint that good... and then i any way can have two :p okey, im gonna work up money now :p
  4. Basswood is a subjective thing..some people think its bad..some find it fine...i dont have a problem with it at all personally...with the Duncan QuarterPounds being so responsive and puncht in the Harris sig..you cant even tell its basswood.
  5. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    hi EddieTheKiller,I had a Fender MIJ 75 RI,it was sweet as a nut,really good bass,great sound.I did a part-ex with Fender MM4 signature bass,I am really happy with that one too.my experience with Fender MIJ basses have been really good.checkout www.ishibashi-music.com .they sell worldwide.anyways, good luck mate.peace
  6. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Many people are of the opinion that quality control at Fender Japan is superior to that of America. I don't disagree. The U.S series QC is sometimes suspect, unless you have the chance to sit and play several guitars. (as I had to do when I bought my last bass at guitar center. 10 total!) You won't be disappointed with a Japanese guitar. They are fantastic instruments.
  7. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I play a mij fender special jazz (p body jazz neck pj pups) and I like it better than the 77jazz I used to have(before they were valuable)I absolutely love it.
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The Japanese basses are excellent.
    I have two japanese P's and a Japanese Jazz and an American P.
    Out of 100 the American scores 100, the Japanese 99!
  9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    if you plan on spending that much money and then making those kind of changes why dont' you just save yourself the trouble and buy an essex made of swamp ash for around 100 bucks seeing as that you're pretty much gutting the bass anyway.
  10. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I also want that vintage 70's look for it... and it probaly gonna be white for atleast an year...
  11. I bought a new 70's re-issue Japanese Fender Precision bass from Ishibashi music two months ago, and I'd highly recommend both the bass and the dealer.

I paid a bit extra to get the model with the American vintage pick-ups, and light ash body in a sunburst finish.
    I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived and I discovered that the body was made from a single piece of ash with no joins! It's a light one too, just as I requested.
    The workmanship is impeccable, and you won't need to change the bridge or the pick-ups with this one unless you just want to spend more money. It has excellent sustain and the pick ups are powerful and deep.

The only negatives are that it needs a proper set up, the factory set action is quite high; also the D & G strings are a bit thin sounding. I believe that that's a fairly typical characteristic even with the USA P-basses though. A heavier guage string-up will probably help.

I've noticed that most players who like P-basses seem to spend a lot of their time playing on the E & A strings. The tone you get from those two strings makes it all worthwhile and you forget about the limitations.
    Overall, I'm really happy with the bass. Looks and sounds great! :D
  12. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I have a 82' Pbass, the sound is much better and the contruction is much better than US made nowadays.
  13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's funny that you say that. I've always been of the opinion that the MIJ ones are the bottom of the heap, and that the Mexi's are better. Not that I'm right or anything but amongst all my bass player freinds, that was just common knowledge. Keeping in mind budget and the mods you want to make I don't think it really matters anyway. Any one would be fine for me to jam. I do like the U.S. one's though.
  14. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I own two MIJ P-Basses. One from 1986 and one from 1989. My experience with the MIM/MIJ/MIA thing is that the the MIAs are the best but they are very inconsistent. 50% are great and 50% are mediocre. The MIJs are of consistently high quality. The MIMs are of consistently low quality. I should qualify this last sentence by stating that I owned a MIM Jazz Bass for 9 days, 6 years ago. It, like all of the other MIMs in GC I bought it at, SUCKED!!! I have not touched a MIM Fender since. I have heard that improvements have been made but I was so unhappy that I have not considered them since.

I know a lot of people like their MIMs so take my advice, along with everyone else's, with however much salt you see fit.

Actually, I may post a thread soliciting the action measurements for MIM Js
  15. I agree 100%, my 54 MIJ reissue is of better quality then my MIA 2000 P bass. I sold the P and I will be keeping the MIJ reissue for many years to come!

16. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    im thinking about trading in a mia jazz standard for a mij M2 four string. I noticed no difference in quality with the mij. The M2 had more options with tonal diversity too.
  17. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium

I own a Pbass 59 RI from 82.
    I bought it 250€ it's not flawless (7.5/10) and I will keep it a million years !
  18. Put me down as a MIJ fan as well. They are excellent basses and the quality is WAY MORE consistent than MIA's. Honestly the only difference I can tell between the old '75 MIJ RI and a '75 RI American Vintage Series may be the body radii and that's about it. Even he pickups are good.
  19. You and your bass player friends are wrong. The MIJ basses are MUCH better than the mexican "standard" series basses.
  20. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    awsome! no problem then, im gonna get an fender MIJ 1970 Reissue then...