Fender Jazz 1972

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That's a real Geddy, ain't it?(minus his mods). That's awesome. I check CME's site every now and then, they've got some great stuff. If you've got the dough, :bassist: go for it.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Nice. :cool: It sure looks like a stock version of Geddy's bass to me.

It amazes me how much these era of Fenders are selling for these days. When I was in early teens you could get one like this for around $500.00, or quite a bit less if it was a little beat up.

My main Jazz is either a '70 or '71. It was a pawn shop basket case. It's finish was stripped down to bare wood and it's frets where filed down to it's fingerboard. It's neck had a rosewood fingerboard with pearloid block markers. It's neck pocket was routed much wider than the base of it's neck, so I pounded shims in on each side of the neck to keep it from shifting.

I eventually replaced it's original neck with a Warmoth J-style with an ebony fingerboard. I regret selling it's original neck now, but when I sold it they weren't really worth a bunch.

I also like the Maple-Glo '76 Rick they have listed; I have a '76 Rick in Autumn-Glo. Out of all my basses, I've owned my Rick the longest (6-17-80), my Jazz is second on the "seniority list". :D

That '59 P-Bass is awesome, I'd love to have it!
  3. Holy shnikes, it's Geddy's bass! Dang, if only I had $4000 that I had to get rid of... and I don't even like Fenders!
  4. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I can't stand their website. Terrible to navigate and little information about anything.
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's a great looking bass, but for a '72 it's way over priced...I'm mean, c'mon, it's a '72. My nice '69 Jazz isn't realistically worth $3600 yet. And by realistically, I mean '66-68 J's are selling for what they want for a '72.

The 'bay is the perfect reflection of what people are willing to pay, and a nice '72 is currently around at the most of $22-2500 mark.
  6. http://goodguysguitars.com/ has several '70s Jazz Basses on their Website including a '72. Their prices are comparable to CME. I don't know what to think about the pricing. There was a '72 on eBay this month -- replaced pickups but good condition, straight neck, etc. according to the description -- that was relisted twice and didn't sell at $1300.
  7. diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    I think Geddy himself is in part responsible for these inflated prices... we should make him chip in!
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Probably about $1000 too much but it is a custom color. Ive never bought a Vintage Fender bass and lost a dime. Keep em for a bit, sell them for more than u paid. Just make sure its all there and all original with case Good luck

9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have this exact bass. I bought mine in 1994 for $700. I could probably get $2000 for it now. Amazing how fast these are going up in value. It's a great bass, but honestly the QC back then was very poor. Quality wise it's no match to my other 3 basses.
  10. Wonder if they would trade a new Geddy for that one? :bag:
  11. That seems likely (NOT A TRACE OF SARCSASM!). ;)

12. Let me know if you sell it man!!! :bassist:
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Apologies to those who own and like 70's Fenders, but your money is better served by buying a late 90's Fender. Between 1996-2003, Fender made basses as good or better than anything they ever made in their history, with 1998 being a peak. And even new ones now are darn good, though I hate the S1 switch. I have yet to play a CBS Fender that I like, but the newer models I rate the best of them with the best of the pre-CBS days. And those American reissues they have now are totally to die for!

Now for those of you who want to chime in with, "You haven't played MY CBS Fender," PM me and I will give you my address so you can send it to me.
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

You might be right Jimmy but they arent worth much. The '70 Fender Jazzes keep increasing in value as the late '90 jazzes decrease

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, well in 1976 when a Precision was $400 and a Jazz was $500 you could buy a used 70's Fender for about $250 for a Precision, $300 for a Jazz. It wasn't until about 2000 when the prices skyrocketed to the $2000 ballpark. All of a sudden, crappy CBS Fenders that weren't worth squat were getting 4 figures just because they were old. And I'm thinking that 90's Fenders will at least double in price over the next 20 years, and I fully expect 98's to triple, as 98 was a banner year for Fenders. 80's models are starting to creep up in price now, too. If those 70's models can be collector's items, so can the 90's models. Try to sell them now and you lose money. Try to sell them in 20 years and I guarantee that you'll at the very least double your money.

Besides, seen what 90's Fenders go for on Ebay? They're only $200-300 off what they go for new. I consider that holding thir value fairly well.
  16. I recently bought that same bass (Jan '73) for a lot less. I agree, AT LEAST $1000 over priced. As for the QC, I can't say. Mine is a little heavy but the mojo/tone is all there and I've yet to find it in a '90s Fender.
  17. Is there a general consensus about this or is your statement based on personal experience? Is there a reason why '98 was a banner year? I'm curious because there was a thread here recently in which someone asked about the good/best years for Fender.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No general consensus yet, however, I know a lot of people with 98's and I don't know of a single person yet that doesn't love theirs. Plus, in all the years I've been playing basses on the wall, I could always find a bad MIA Fender, but never in 1998.
  19. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    You're looking at a sight that sells to collectors, not musicians-the price is way too much for a mediocre mass-produced instrument. For much less you could get a Lakland or a Sadowsky or fill in your favorite bass.

Mind you I really enjoy visiting the site - for the pictures.